HybridZ

small block or big block?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey guys, sorry i've been absent for so long but i've been running around with all that mundane day to day stuff. now on with my new found problem.

if you guys remember my previous thread i said i had decided on a 360 mopar small block. i still would like to do this, but, i have one problem. for the life of me i can not find a FRIGGIN single one for sale in this town. mad.gif

But i DO know where i can find a quantity of 400s (about 5 or 6 i think) all in the same towing company's private junkyard.

the thing is i dont want to screw up my weight bias. i would like to keep the sports car handling and not limit my self to a straight line driver if you know what i mean.

do you guys think if i deck out a 400 with as many weight savers as possible it will still be fairly nimble? anybody running bigblocks in a daily driver that could give me a clue?

if i can go this way i think it ight be simpler since i'm sure i can pick two up for a cheap price and use the best parts from both. any opinions, all input is greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by v-8 Zfreak (edited March 13, 2001).]

Guest pauli

isn't a 400 a small block chevy?

have you checked truck yards and such? they still sell quite a few 360's... it would be a truck motor, but still, pull a 5.9 out of a dakota, ram, van, or grand cherokee...

Having worked in Elko I understand your problem... Have you tried Salt Lake??? The other option is Reno, or Winnemucca. I know that this isn't what you want to hear but you may have better luck there also don't forget Ogden UT. If you find one in a larger city is will most always be cheeper, more compitition between yards and you can play one aginst the other.. There isn't much in Elko... As for the 400 mopar it is a big block and I know it weighs more and is alot wider, but look arround even a free 318 will get you started with the motor mts and placement.... Good luck Ray

------------------

Remember it is only a piece of metal.

Guest Anonymous

youre right on looking around in salt lake or ogden and i plan on browsing around out there. the big thing about that is that i dont have a truck to get the motor home if i find one out there. i will propably end up owing one of my friends a big favor for a truck ride but thats cool i geuss. just have to find the time to get out there.

i sorry i should have been more clear there pauli i ment a mopar big block. with mopar the biggest small block they make is a 360. then from their 383 and on are all big blocks

Guest JAMIE T

I would definatly hold out for a small block, those big block Mopars are some tubby bastards:d Around here 360's and 318's are a dime a dozen. Keep looking, you'll find one. I have settled for "what was available" before and have almost aways regretted it. Do yourself a favor, and take your time and get exactly what you want.

Good luck

Jamie