HybridZ

Speedometer not working on 280zx

sltn87

Hi, I just finished installing glow gauges into my 280zx N/T. The following day the speedometer quit working but I could hear a ticking sound behind the cluster as if the speedometer cable was still spinning, I've been told once they are taken out they are prone to breaking but I don't think it's broke since I still hear it, can anyone tell me if the cable just worked itself loose while I floored my car or perhaps the cable is gone for good? Thanks in advance, sorry for the ignorant question.

The speedo cable is two seperate cables, one short one connected to the back of the guage cluster and the longer one going out to the trans. If you disconnected the short one when working on the dash I think that maybe you didn't reconnect it correctly. Remove the dash panel below the steering wheel (two screws) and you can get at the connection of the two cables, the cable square ends need to line up or it won't work or it will break.