HybridZ

Q45 R200 VLSD Parts Needed

Guest milemarker60

Guest milemarker60

Sorry to jump over to your board but I need some help and you guys seem to be the experts. I have transplanted a BMW M3 driveline into my Triumph TR6 which runs its power through a 95 Q45 R200 VLSD. The current ratio is factory (3.538:1) and the BMW Trans 5th gear is 1.0:1 and my tire diameter is 25". With the BMW tranny I pretty much can't use 1st gear and I'm turning 3K RPMs at 63mph. I'm trying to get it down to 2500 RPMs at 60mph so I'd like to find a supplier of ring and pinion sets for this diff.

Does anyone make sets in the 3.0:1-3.3:1 range for my R200 VLSD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Roller-1-Mitch-t.jpg

Dave, your best bet might be to fab in a BMW rear diff. If you can shoehorn a BMW 6 into a Triumph TR6 engine bay you must have good fab. skills. I have two TR6's, 69 and a 72 and the 240z, I have been thinking about a transplant for my 69 TR. I would love to know what you had to cut up to fit the bimmer in, what did you do about the brake master cylinder? was it in the way. I have the alloy and corvair rear hubs along with the q45 diff. installed but don't know if I want to change the engine. Sorry I can't help but if anyone can you will find them on this awsome site. I'm putting a 7MGTE into my 240, mabey one might find it's way into the TR6. Well good luck

Dave,

I haven't heard of any for your diff (short nose R200), but there are some for the long nose R200 (I believe a 3.15 R&P set is available through Kameari in Japan, and the 260Z 2+2 manual or the 79 2+2 4 speed come with a long nose R200 3.36).

An option would be to go with the R230 diff. R230s are available on Nissan Armadas (2.9375) and 300ZXTTs (3.7). Armada diffs are a little harder to come by, but if you're able to get a 300ZXTT R230 (easier to come by), you can probably swap in the Armada 2.9375 R&P set which is $295 from Courtesy Nissan (contact speeder on this site...he's doing the Armada R&P set into 300ZXTT R230 diff conversion).

Check out this link:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106621&highlight=armada+r230

I have some 300ZXTT R230s available for sale, but shipping might be expensive (these diffs are over 100 lbs). There's one in the classifieds that's a little closer to you, which is being sold by J. Soileau RB26zcar. Here's the link:

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=3440

Good luck on your project!

I don't know this for sure, but am 90% positive that the 3.36:1 R&P from an automatic 350Z will fit that case. Both the 350Z and the Q45 utilize the later generation short nose R200, although the 350Z case is a little different externally.

The mounts for the Q45 and the Armada/300zxtt diffs are very similar, but using an R 230 will require you to use a different driveshaft. The CVs you have should be Ok. The available Armada gears are 3.36 and 2.93, but to use these R&Ps my driveline shop had to use an Armada case with the 300zxtt input flange, side flanges, lsd unit, and rear cover.

HybridZ member Cyrus built a 2.93 R230 and documented it here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106621&highlight=Armada

Sweet hybrid, by the way. I bet that's fun.

• 8 years later...

Would I lose abs if I use the armada r230 and swap the z32tt lsd.. Output stubs and rear cover?

I read on a few pages where the abs mounts need to be pressed off the z32tt rear cover.

Could I just machine the outside of the r230 armada for clearance so that the abs sensor can still be used with the z32tt output stubs?

This is going on a 300zx twinturbo that I am planning on using a 370z 6 speed transmission with.. So my more desirable rear ratio is the armada ~2.9