HybridZ

will i ever pass emisions

280tyler

i have a 77 280z i bought about a year ago and it's time for me to renew my tags. so i was looking at my engine and the previous owner put a header on blocked off the egr took off the cat and there is no O2 sensor. i put a cat on that i got from my friend and took it though the deq test it failed. what do you think i should do to get it to pass?

I'm currently collecting parts for a turbo swap and i was going to run megasquirt if i put ms on now could i get to pass?

1st you need to find out what is failing.

is it failing the visual inspection or the tail pipe.

if visual you will have to find out what parts the inspector says you need to replace and replace them.

if tail pipe you need to know whether is NoX or hydrocarbons. if NoX is usually too lean, if Hydrocarbons is usually too rich.

is it failing at idle or at high speed ?

you could have bad sensors or bad controllers. possibly corroded connections at the sensors.

the cat can clean up some excess but that is not what it is meant to do.

the cat is to clean up the exhaust of a perfect running engine. plus the used cat you installed may have been no good.

material in the cat is used to create a chemical reaction within the gases passes over the catalytic material, alter the gases make up and for the most part cause sulphuric acid and water to come out the pipe ( along with other crap ).

if the cat material is coated or wasted away, no reaction, same as no cat.

again, you need to find out why not passing and explore.

most states base their tests on california laws and regs. here is a website to check out.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Smog.html#settings

good luck, wayne