HybridZ

Initial check/Storing engine LS1

Guest Grenade300

Guest Grenade300

Yes I searched, There was a very helpful thred by Grumpyvette...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=87780&highlight=storing

The questions I have are for short term storage. I just bought my LS1 with T56 and ECM from a salvage yard on ebay. I just wrote the guy and asked him to drain any fluids in the engine. Should I have the engine oil drained? I asked him to also make sure the engine was covered or indoors till I get there in mid January to pick it up. I also asked him to remove the ECU and keep it indoors.

When I get the engine in my posession I am going to take it to a shop to get a leak down compression test done. I also want to look inside the bores and check for any rust through the spark plug holes.

I will be storing the engine for about 3 or 4 months till I get all the rest of the stuff for the conversion. I will be using the oil Grumpy spoke of in the above thread for the cylenders, do I also need remove the oil pan like he said if I am storing it for this short of a time? Should I remove the heads? If there is by chance some rust in the cylenders I assume I don't need to bore it out unless it was enought to pit the walls, it this correct?

Thanks guys,

Scott

You probably don't want to remove the heads. Squirt a little oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes and turn the engine over a few times to be sure everything is nice and coated. I'd also be wary of removing the oil pan. Leave it on to keep the crank safe. Seal up all of the openings and you should be good to go.

Guest Grenade300

Thanks, I was wondering since I'll only be storing the engine for a little while. It may seem like a dumb question, but it took me a long time to get all the money together for this swap and I don't want to screw it up.

Scott