HybridZ

Perhaps a little spring help?

So heres the run-down: I'm working on putting an ls1 in a 240z with my dad. we're gonna strip basically all that we can to save weight. we are in the middle of upgrading the drivetrain (r200, cvs, stub axles) and while we have the entire lower control arm/brake/coilover assembly out, we figured now would be the best time to replace those stock springs (they might not actually be stock, but theyre so worn out, they may as well be)

However, we are at a loss of knowing which springs to put on. I spent a few hours searching, but could not find anything that fits our situation. We are looking to make this a drift/drag car. (not many here) if it matters, we have the IMSA flares, and some approx 13" wide tires to do with it. I know drift/drag is a strange combo, and have different suspension needs, but perhaps there is a compromise between the two that will work? (ideally, mostly drift...) as for ground clearance, maybe 8-10 inches from the ground to bottom of our nice new Baddog subframe reinforcements...

If someone out there knows what what we would need, your help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

-Mike

I have a purpose built s30 drifter, i used one off kyb real sports dampers, brp coilovers with 450lb front springs 350 rear, camber plates, bump steer spacers.it is set up for professional drifting competition. it really drifts awesome, but it would be very scarey to drag or go down a main streight away of a fast race track, i am running 12mm toe out, but even still anything over 100mph you woulnt feel planted to the ground and minor inputs can have a dramatic effect on the car, i think the rates i selected are great for all out drifting, but your right drift and drag

is an odd combo, i would stick with the safe set up like what the road race guys are doing, and just change some settings and tires when you want to drift.

I think the biggest thing in making the z drift is modifying the steering rack to get more angle. the z has so little turning radius stock. i have added alot of angle to mine but still am not where the s13/14 guys are.. i am designing wobbly t/c rods so i can get more steering without hitting the t/c rods. with more angle you will not spin as often as with stock rack due to being able to pull out of drifts without hitting steering lock, and get more angle while drifting.

Derrick

U.S.DRIFT Midwest director

www.outbrakemotorsports.com

www.usdrift.com