HybridZ

Help! ignition miss

racerx260

I have an ignition miss on an 83 turbo. When using timing light. there is a miss that shows on all plug wires.The strobe does not flash on a pattern of 5 flashes and then none and then flashes again. Same pattern on all cyclinders. Only shows at idle and when engine under load under 2500 rpm it is not notice able above that.New rotor, cap wires and plugs.Was this way when I bought it.Bad disy?Any ideas?

Make sure you have good battery voltage, 12.5V or more. Mine started doing that when I was running it w/o the alternator belt for diagnostic purposes. After a while the battery voltage fell just enough for the ignition to start dropping out.

new battry.can a coil start breaking down after it gets hot without completely failing?it runs great until it has been running for 5 min. or so. then the miss at idle starts and the fireing gets erradic when you watch the timing light.

Maybe your ignitor (power transistor on the coil bracket) is starting to go? Try hitting it with some freeze spray when the missing starts. That should rule it in or out pretty quickly.

Also, I would TEST that battery voltage. Reason being that the symptoms you describe (even pattern of flashing/missing) is EXACTLY what mine was doing. Plus, when you rev 2500 rpm the alternator would kick in and raise your voltage, eliminating the problem.

Too bad I'm not closer, I'd run over and scratch my head in person. Might not figure it out but at least we could drink a few beers while trying. :-)