HybridZ

Newbie with questions

dusterbd13

i was out looking around after work today for a car to use for HPDE events. i came across a 1982 datsun 280ZX. thecar is non turbo, five speed, and has four wheel discs. the owner says the car needs a computer due to there being a burned spot on the circuit board causing no injector pulse. so i know ill be into it for that at least. im wondering what else i should look at. so i found your board, and want to ask a few questions before i purchase this car.

1) what, other than rust, are common problems?

2) are most parts readily availible? such as brake parts, chassis parts, and other wear items.

3) where would a good place to purchase a computer for a reasonable price be? autozone wants 180.

4) will it be a decent beginning track car in stock form, or should i go back to looking for a 5.0 mustang?

5) what could have caused this computer problem?

6) what parts sources should i look at?

7) any basic setup for track use? i will typically be running kershaw and VIR.

thanks for the help.

Michael Crawford

i was out looking around after work today for a car to use for HPDE events. i came across a 1982 datsun 280ZX. thecar is non turbo, five speed, and has four wheel discs. the owner says the car needs a computer due to there being a burned spot on the circuit board causing no injector pulse. so i know ill be into it for that at least. im wondering what else i should look at. so i found your board, and want to ask a few questions before i purchase this car.

1) what, other than rust, are common problems?

2) are most parts readily availible? such as brake parts, chassis parts, and other wear items.

3) where would a good place to purchase a computer for a reasonable price be? autozone wants 180.

4) will it be a decent beginning track car in stock form, or should i go back to looking for a 5.0 mustang?

5) what could have caused this computer problem?

6) what parts sources should i look at?

7) any basic setup for track use? i will typically be running kershaw and VIR.

thanks for the help.

Michael Crawford

I own a 83 280zx.... big thing that i noticed is that there quite reliable i put a beating on my motor and it starts right up everymorning and its commin up on 190,xxx miles.... but things that tend to go from what ive seen is that bolts tend to snap i call them butter bolts, hoses crack, if your not lucky your z will tend to run really hot they then to have cooling problems from what other zx drivers told me due to the fact that the ac condencer is in front of the radiator, the oil pressure gadge is not very acurate, need n e parts go to MSA, Ebay would be a cheap place to get a ECU, but how much he want for the car? I wouldnt pay more then 500 since u dont know 100% if the car actully works....