HybridZ

Cuting springs (260Z)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I know it's not the best way to lower a car But I am trying to build a Scary icon_eek.gif fast car for $1500-2002 I have a extra set of springs and was wanting to know if I should cut 2 coils or 3 perhaps 2 1/2 coils. I want it on the ground about 1-2" of ground clearance icon_biggrin.gif . anybody ever do this?

thanks

Tom

Hi Tom

I took my torch to mine one time. malebitchslap.gif

I lowered it my 2 or 3 inches. Looked cool.

The top of the tires you could not see. It was buried a inch or so in the wheel well.

Humm

Had to go and get a alignment. Camberplates in the front. I said screw the plates for the rear.

Drove it home from the alignment shop and ordered correct lowered springs.

You can lower a inch or 2 and increase your spring load and be a LOT happier rather than hacking the old warn out springs.

The car will also handle tons better!

Good luck.

Dave

icon_wink.gif

Tom,

I have done this with a zx and a couple of corollas. You can only go so far though. Jack the car up and mesure the distances between the upper and lower spring holders. Never cut the spring shorter then this distance or it will flop about. I do the front first. This will determine the lowest the car will sit. Be conservative with removing coils from the rear. You dont want it lower then the front. I used to mark the coils where i would cut them and put them in a bucket of water up to that point. I would then use a cut of disk on my grinder and cut it as fast as i could. Best to use an air grinder buy the way although i have done it with electric.

bonk.gifbonk.gif

In NZ the local mot will fail you if you have cut springs. Mine always passed using this method. Now i Just go and buy them. Much easyier.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

I cut two coils the first time. Not low enough, Cut another coil to make three total. Threw those springs away because they flopped around after installation. Cut two coils on the new springs, and then took a rose bud tip to the two of the remaining coils located on the top and heated them a cherry red and flattened them together to simulate the top of the original springs for a better installation fit. After they cooled off and lost all the spring temper, the two top coils were re-heated a cherry red and immediately quenched in a 5 gallon bucket of water to gain back some spring tension.A real lousey scary ride that bottoms out because the springs are weak and the stuts need shortening. Don't sacrifice on this area to save money if you want to go over 50 mph and ..........I Got on Hybrid Z and getting an education on doing something right.Get on the the Datsun websites and find some lowering springs or coilovers and get the JTR manual that tells a lot of low cost suspension modifications.