HybridZ

transmission and clutch(need help)

driftinpinoy23

i just recently got a 78 280z from my uncle and i dont know much so i made an account for this site. well the car wasn't used for about 4 years but i got it to start but i step on the clutch and i cant shift it into gear when the car is on (but i can when it is off) and it feels like there is no clutch. i tried 2 add more clutch fluid because the level was really low. but it still had the same problem. i was wondering if anyone knew the problem and how to fix it. thanks

i just recently got a 78 280z from my uncle and i dont know much so i made an account for this site. well the car wasn't used for about 4 years but i got it to start but i step on the clutch and i cant shift it into gear when the car is on (but i can when it is off) and it feels like there is no clutch. i tried 2 add more clutch fluid because the level was really low. but it still had the same problem. i was wondering if anyone knew the problem and how to fix it. thanks

try bleeding the clutch line since you say it was low. There is probably air in the line still.

Guest TeamNissan

I would say there is either a leak and or air in the clutch line. Search high and low. Mark the fluid level and punp the clutch alot, if it moves even a tiny bit you have a leak.

Welcome to the site, you will find its the finest z site out there.

If the level is low and it has sat that long the slave and the master are wasted. save your self the time and trouble and change them out as a pair. use new dot 3 brake fluid. check the line. then bleed the system. have a freind pump the clucth pedel 10 time then on the tenth one hold it to the floor and you can open the bleed valve on the slave to let the air out. then close the valve and your freind can release the pedel. repeat several more times, then see how it feels. change all the fluids in the car while your at it. coolant , brake , diff, trans.

Oils cheap, engines are not.

Write me if you need more info. Im a ASE Master tech and work for Toyota.

If the level is low and it has sat that long the slave and the master are wasted. save your self the time and trouble and change them out as a pair. use new dot 3 brake fluid. check the line. then bleed the system. have a freind pump the clucth pedel 10 time then on the tenth one hold it to the floor and you can open the bleed valve on the slave to let the air out. then close the valve and your freind can release the pedel. repeat several more times, then see how it feels. change all the fluids in the car while your at it. coolant , brake , diff, trans.

Oils cheap, engines are not.

Write me if you need more info. Im a ASE Master tech and work for Toyota.

Yea when i got me zx it sat for about 6 months in there and the tranny was shot i replaced the tranny and had the same problem most likly like actully 90% its one of the 2 slave or master cylinder and since u said its been sittin for 4 years yea even more so.... but long story short go to autozone or what ever get a new one and be done with it dont fanagle ur self... its like 80bux if that.... do your self a favor and when changin fluids i put in some lucas oil additive amazing how good that stuff works....

Guest hi11i3r

I'd also recommend replacing master and slave cylinders. What's more I'd spend a little extra and get the stainless steel sleeved items, will save you aving the problem in the future. Changing all the fluids on a car thats been stagnant for a time is a prudent idea aswell.

If it was my car, I would think about changing that setup. They usually dont get air in them by themselves. Plus sitting for 4 years???? Plus what 20-30 year old car. OEM part ? I would not trust it. My z has been down for 3 years during the build and is getting all new brakes and clutch setup. Don't want to be 500 miles from home and have a failure.