HybridZ

need help L28

zcar?

ok i got my engine running again and now it doesnt start all to well and when it revs up it revs super slow,when it has no load it revs slow and when im driving it doesnt rev past like 3000rpm, so what do you guys think the problem is?

thanks

jeremy

• Administrators

My knee jerk response is ignition timing or bad coil.

If it is running smoothly on all 6 cylinders, not popping or sputtering, it is most likely ignition related, though it could be a plugged exhaust system as well.

If it is ignition, it will mostly likely be very retarded ignition timing or a coil going bad. I’ve seen those exact symptoms with 2 separate L-6 powered Z cars and both ended up being bad coils, one was an MSD coil, (the MSD reliability issue is another thread already on this forum, so please don’t get on the MSD bash/support wagon in this tread…) Both of these cars ran smooth on all 6 cylinders, but ran as if the car was trying to tow around an apartment complex…

Hope that helps…

Paul

I concur with Paul...

I replaced my ignition box with a stock replacement MSD unit and The change was AMAZING!

It was like it was a new car...

It still popped after a rev but that was from poorly tuned SUs. At idle it ran perfectly smooth all the way up around 7k.

Mind you that is on a L26, roundtop SUs, 11.5 Lb flywheel, MSD5900 unit, L24 flat-top pistons, mystery header-2.5" exhaust, and the stock E88 head with the "C" cam...

Before replacing the ignition unit it stuttered at idle. When I stepped on the throttle at lower RPMs in 2nd or 3rd it would pop and lose power for a second or so when the engine was cold.

Another thing to check is under the dist. cap and see if any of the electrodes or rotor cap are really dirty. That can cause problems too.

All is better with the new ignition.. :-)