HybridZ

Timing Help!!

HB280ZT

Hi All,

Well I did a search but did not really find what I was looking for. I did have the motor running really good but I blew a head gasket and it went down hill from there with the timing. However, I got it all back together again and set correctly. I did have the motor running before the head gasket went south but I do not remember what I did over a year ago to get this thing timed and running so I am at a loss!!

Starting information.

MS1 V3 with the extra code.

82 turbo motor with the 82 opti distributor

I have the engine currently setup with the dampener at TDC and the rotor pointing at #1 plug.

I moved the engine to 60 deg BTDC and the nearest window in the CAS wheel is still a bit off. So what to do?

What to do next?

do I have to move the distributor to the next trigger point?

Also at TDC i noticed that the nearest window is at 30 deg BTDC or 30 deg ATDC.

Harry

I had to take the front of the motor off because the timing chain moved and would not line up on the cam gear. See post:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119250

So I removed the oil pump and the shaft. That is why I had to redo the entire setup.

Here is a picture of my CAS unit at 60 deg BTDC.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=13290&size=big&cat=500

If you look at this picture it is taken with the crank at 60 deg BTDC but it still has distance to go before it hits the next window.

When I checked the timing with a light it was lighting at TDC. This is using the setup I used when it was last running.

So what to try now?

Harry

Timing update.

When I have crank set at 60 deg BTDC and have put the distributor to the next window and now I am like 90 deg BTDC when I try and run it.

So when I put the crank back to TCD the rotor is no where near the #1 plug pickup. So it will not run.

I did notice that the windows on the CAS are at 30 deg between each of the plug pickups. Plus the rotor has a swing of about 60 deg which is the same as the distance between each of the windows. So does the stock ECU use the 30 deg difference to fire the coil?

So that being said do I really need to go over 60 deg to meet the timing window or can I just hit the window at 30 deg and then with a rotor that has 60 deg of sweep I should be good to go. That will give me a full 90 deg of possible timing?????

Harry

Don't pay attention to the windows in the dizzy for now.

You must answer these questions FIRST.

Don't rely on the damper - Take the #1 spark plug out and check for TDC compression by actually feeling the compression with your finger - and checking for TDC using a guage (or CAREFULLY stick a screwdriver inside the hole to check where the piston is at).

When the #1 piston is at TDC compression - Where is the rotor pointing in relationship to the cap?

It better be pointing at the #1 position on the cap (kind of facing toward the front of the car). If it isn't - your dizzy shaft is installed incorrectly.

When the #1 piston is at TDC compression - Where is the timing mark on the crank pulley?

It better be at ZERO. If it isn't - then your damper is screwed up and you are on a crap-shoot to try and get your timing correct.

Answer these two questions and we'll see where we are at then.

If you messed with the oil shaft - I'm 95% sure that it is installed incorrectly. It is VERY easy to install in the wrong clocked position.

Guys,

Thanks for the help but I just got it running again.

What I did was this.

Set everything up like factor with #1 pistion at TDC compression stoke, crank on TDC and the rotor (center of sweep) pointing at the #1 plug pickup.

I then marked the next cas window that is BTDC and then moved the crank to the 60 deg BTDC.

Then I removed the oil pump (several times) and moved the shaft so that it would line up with the cas window I needed for the MS to light the center light.

Then I put it all back together again and it RUNS!!!

I checked the timing and it is running at about 12 degs so I think I need to change my setting in the MS unit. I have idle timing set to 16 deg so I am off by a few degrees.

Thanks for the help.

Harry

Make sure you calibrate the actual engine timing with what is in the timing table in MT. Set you idle timing to something you can verify with the timing tab and a timing light (like 15deg BTC). Then adjust the trim angle setting in the spark settings until the timing in the active timing bin matches the timing on the timing tab. Note that the spark advance gauge in the main MT window does not take in to consideration the trim angle.