HybridZ

chassis design help????(long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need some advice on building my frontend to look the way i want it. my car is a 1980 zx and I want it to look like the front end from anascar ( no inner fenders). I have a few questions about that though. what i would liketo do is first replace my frame rails to get a good base to start with. then attach a roll bar to the firewall that would run from the fire next to the

inner part of the shock tower then curve down to meet the fram rail. I would brace the outer part of the shock tower with a roll bar that would

attach to the first roll bar. To attach the fenders i would used either some rods attach to the roll cage or some square tubes with dzus fastners on the end. My real question is should i attach the front roll cage to the driver

compartment roll cage or just go with attaching it to the firewall. My thoughts on attaching it to the firewall is that it would provide a crush

zone that isnt directly tied into the main roll cage. I have welded before so thats is not a problem. I am open to any thoughts that you guys might have on this. sorry for being so long winded

I would tie it into the cage for sure. I like it done like the racers. Top of strut to inside cage just below the windows. Another tube from the top of the strut to the lower floor mounting for the inside cage. Then go from the top of the strut straight down to the frame rail. Most good race cars are like this, some will also run a tube from the top of the strut forward as well. This should also have a tube over the engine as well, but that will probable have to be removable. One thing all the books i have read say is NEVER PUT A LOAD IN THE MIDDLE OF A TUBE.

Good luck.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

zrossa the way that you explained would i still be able to do away with the inner fenders? i see what u say about using diferant bars to connect the shock towers to the other parts.

Yep. I have only made one cage. There are guys here that know far more than I so hopefully they will give you some more inf. Have a look a nascar cages, and also super touring cars. There cages are wicked. I will see if i can find some links for you but i cant get to it right now.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

i spent 5 hours the other night looking for good pics. doesnt seem to be too many out there. i think i am going to get how to race your datsun to get some ideas

dave

I had some linked on my other computer but that is in a box in my garage somewhere at the moment.

But try some of these,

http://www.safetydevices.co.uk/rollcage.htm

http://www.cascadeautosport.com/rollcages.shtml

http://e30m3performance.com/tech_articles/cage_symposium/cage_symposium.htm

If you look at anything at all lok at the e36 on the e30m3 sight. Awsume. Its made me want to go and play with my cage some more.

That should keep you going for a little while. I really like the bmw design for the front, but it could be overkill. All of these will work with out the sheet metal, but will be a little stronger with it.

I just did a search on "roll cage" + "super touring". Heaps came up. You could also use a front end designed for, or similar to the mustang/pinto drag set up and the cross brace it to make it stiffer. That might be more in line with what you are thinking.

Enjoy

Douglas