HybridZ

Transmission Choice Advice?

Guest Ewen

Hi,

I'm wondering if you guys would have any views on the best transmission to use in my current project. The base car is an S13 Nissan 180SX. Not a 'Z' Car, but I think accepted here. If not - sorry!

Anyhow, I'm replacing the driveline with a Lexus LS400 1uz-fe V8, plus suitable manual transmission. I'm planning to supercharge the engine using an Eaton M112 unit from a Jaguar XKR / XJR (most common M112 to be found in the UK). It's going to be primarily a road car so I'm not looking for huge or sudden power / torque delivery from the engine. I have an idea that 400 - 450HP with equivalent torque figures would be a nice target to aim for.

From what I've found, the Supra Turbo (R154?) manual trans is the usual gearbox used when transplanting a 1UZ. However, if possible, I quite fancied sticking with a Nissan unit. I'd been advised that a Z32 5 speed manual would be a good choice as it has Skyline GTS-T internals and can cope with a lot of power and torque. It also seemingly fits quite nicely in the S13 shell. So, I'd thought this might be a possible solution - either that or replace the internals of my CA18DET transmission with something stronger.

So, does anyone have any views on what would be the best thing to do? Supra trans? Z32? Rebuilt CA18DET trans (and if so with what)? etc. Or indeed is there another manual trans that might be a better bet? I'm really trying to balance strength with ease of installation and closeness in size / shifter positioning to the original CA18DET unit.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:burnout: