HybridZ

Maxima diesel crank, l24 rods and KA24 pistons vs. MSA Big Bore Kit?

wanganZ

Have been searching around for the internals on a stroker turbo build I want to do. I was originally looking at doing an L28et build and using the stock p90 head and cam. As far as the internals are concerned, I was looking at using 89mm pistons from the KA24 and the maxima diesel crank. However, is it possible to use the stock l28 rods or will I be needing to use the l24 rods. From what Ive read, theyre both forged so shouldnt have any problems for what im looking for (350hp 3.1L turbo L28 pushing 16psi). Also, will the ka24 pistons need to be forged in order to take the boost?

Been searching for a while on others stroker builds, but have read the same response "search more". Hope I dont receive the same response, but if so, please send a link regarding the build. Once again, im looking for a 3.1L L28et that will push around 300-350hp for the cheapest amount of money. Any input is greatly appreciated

Guest 280ZForce

yes, you will need the 240z rods w/ the LD28 (maxima diesel) crank because of the longer stroke.

I would recommend having forged pistons for boost, but I'm sure those should hold up just fine for that amount of power your looking for. If anything, have those ka pistons race prepped.

you should be able to piece together a stroker kit for cheaper than the msa kit.

But you can use a stock l28et and easily hit 300-350 hp on 15-17 psi even on the stock turbo w/ some bigger fuel injectors and MS.

From what I've read you can use either rod, just keep in mind what size piston you are using. The L24 rods are longer, so you will want a shorter piston, like the ones that come from the 240sx.

Isn't a 3.1et overkill for 300-350hp? I would just go with the L28et and drop the money that you would spend fooling with the stroker build on aftermarket go-fast parts for the L28 motor. With an intercooler, aftermarket computer and boost controller you should reach your goal, but I'm wrong all time.

good luck,

jess

1) Stroker turbo and cheap do not go together.

2) You need to search more, because many people are pushing over 350 hp on stock block, head, cam, etc. I am putting together a build that should net me an easy 325 whp when done, and I am not doing any sort of head work, boring out cylinders, or lengthening the stroke.

i know stoker turbo and cheap dont work out, but im thinking "if im doing an engine swap, might as well rebuild the bottom end, and why not stroke it while im doing so". I want to do all of the internal work before moving on to the turbo work. Mostly the 3.1L turbo is what the long term goal is for, and seeing as im looking as using the stock 240z motor until the l28et is ready for install, i dont really have a problem with waiting it out to do things the right way

By the way, due to its scarce availibility, is there any substitute for the LD28 crank in this combo?

i know stoker turbo and cheap dont work out, but im thinking "if im doing an engine swap, might as well rebuild the bottom end, and why not stroke it while im doing so". I want to do all of the internal work before moving on to the turbo work. Mostly the 3.1L turbo is what the long term goal is for, and seeing as im looking as using the stock 240z motor until the l28et is ready for install, i dont really have a problem with waiting it out to do things the right way

By the way, due to its scarce availibility, is there any substitute for the LD28 crank in this combo?

I been reading up on this alot, but if your doing the stroker turbo, I think the best bet is to use the LD28 crank. If your planning to stay 2.8, you can always race prep your crank. Honestly the 2.8 can do 350HP np. The stroker is just there for top end.

Of course there is a substitute. You have lots of options. You could offset grind the std crank, you could get the std crank welded, you could spring for a custom billet crank.

Or you could spend the money where it will make the power, in the turbocharger, intercooler and fuel/ignition system. As has been mentioned, a standard bottom end will hold 350hp with a safe tune.

Dave

WanganZ,

Is your ultimate goal for 350hp or to have a stroker turbo?

350HP can be obtained without spending the extra $$$ on a stroker build but that would mean you can't tell your friends you have a stroker turbo. It's up to you but it's better to outline your true goals before starting to spend money. If not you either spend more than you needed to or end up with a package you aren't happy with.

Wheelman

Basically, except without the twin turbos.

I was there at some point, but to be realistic, it's not going to happen for me. I gather 60% of the parts to build a 3.1 stroker turbo and just basically stop. I realized that its not going to happen. Yes he's got a killer Z, but theres better options out there now. I felt that by the time I spent that money on a engine that can only be exclusive to my car, I can go out and get a more dated engine people are more fimiliar with and whenever I get sick of it, I can swap it to a 240sx or even a Rx-7. Just to leave my options open. The 3.1 stroker turbo is great, but its out of it's time now. The RB and 2jz's can produce 500hp easily and thats just the beggining for it while the L-series is almost maxing out. Hey I would still love to build a 3.1 stroker turbo If I had the extra money.

Please forgive my ignorance but what is the Devil Z?

Wheelman

Basically there was a manga back in the 90's called Wangan Midnight about racing through the wangan . The main character drivers a S30 that he found sitting in the local junkyard. The setup was a 3.1 stroker Twin Turbo pushing out around 700HP or more to be exact 650PSI on a OHC head not the Giken on Triple Mikuni 50's. His greatest rival was a 993 Turbo, but the only way he can catch up to him is if the Z's is being possessed. Thats why they call it the Devil Z. Later on in the manga, he uses ITBS. If you want to see a trailer of the video game, go to the non-tech board and look for Wangan midnight Ps3 Trailer.