HybridZ

Info on intercooler

datman

I recently bought this AiReasearch intercooler. It has a vertical core. 13" long 7" deep by 7" high. Part numbers

AiResearch 469760-1 charge air cooler. industrial division

does anyone know anything about this type of cooler. I've been told it was used on Zakspeed capri's in the 80's

intercooler2a_thumb.jpg

7" deep? Jesus.

I believe AiResearch is what Garrett was called originally, stand to be corrected on that one though. Garrett cores, like their turbochargers, are pretty decent.

7" deep.. holy hell batman. If i were you and was going to install that, I would be thinking VERY carefully about my entry and exit shrouding. But then, we all should really. :D

Dave

Yes you're right I think AR were part of Garret...probably still are. I read somewhere that any core over 3.5" is too thick because the air stalls going through the core....on the other hand surely AR knew what they were doing when they did "research" :)

I think it all depends on application. On a street car with no ducting, the air may well just spill around the sides instead of flowing nicely through. On a race car with a properly placed ducting entry (high pressure zone) and exit (low pressure zone) the air is PULLED through the core which allows you to run something thicker.

How much did you pay for that core? I am envious.