HybridZ

Vacuum connection for regulator required?

Zmanco

I saw in another post that the stock FI fuel pressure regulator needs a vacuum connection to the intake manifold so it can adjust the pressure when the intake pressure (vacuum) changes to keep the relative pressure in the injectors constant. As I'm planning for a conversion from carbs to FI (via megasquirt) I'm wondering if I need to use the stock regulator or if I can use an aftermarket? I ask because I haven't seen any aftermarkets with the attachment for the intake manifold. How big of an issue is this? Does it affect driveability?

Thanks in advance - I'm learning tons about FI here.

aeromotive fi regs do have a boost/vac reference port on them as with most efi regs. And from what i have read, asked and learned it does need to be there and connected.

A reg with no ref is called a dead head reg and not used for efi.

I have experimented with a SARD efi reg and an Aeromotive efi reg and although the Sard seemed fine the Aeromotive seems better more constant. And the SARD makes a funny sound on the first start of the day.

For efi you will need a return style reg. meaning that a hose goes form the reg back to the tank to return unneeded fuel. But a stock efi reg will work fine. tc.