HybridZ

Intake manifold question

Zmanco

I can see that the early FI intake manifolds without EGR are much cleaner looking than the later ones. As I have an '80 intake, I'm wondering if the 75-78 have any performance benefits as well, or if it's all just apperance.

If I switch to FI, I'll be puting a 60 mm TB on it, so I'm just trying to isolate the difference in performance from the intake.

• Administrators

No performance gain in the earlier intakes over the later N/A intakes. The port runner ID is the same on all the N/A EFI intakes. The Turbo intake manifolds have an ever so “slightly” larger runner id, (at least the ones I have measured side by side to N/A manifolds though there are a few members on here that swear not all turbo intakes are the larger runner, which I can’t disprove), and it is still up for debate whether that slight increase in runner diameter is of a substantial enough increase to justify its less than aesthetic appearance.

The only other real difference in OE EFI manifolds was plenum volume. The earlier intakes and Turbo intakes have a larger plenum than the later manifolds. It is generally accepted that there is no difference in power output between ANY of them.

Hope that helps.