HybridZ

Struts and Spring install Question.

Guest zfan

Ok I just finished with two days of calling around to different shops for qoutes re: strut/spring installation prices.

I thought springs and struts themselves were not cheap..OMG..Labor rates/qoutes were out of this world. What the heck. I have never installed springs/struts, I have installed shocks and springs..no big deal.

I cannot see paying these crazy prices..No Way!

I guess it is time to learn something new! How long does it take ball park? I have spring compressor and plenty of tools. I've worked on my Z for two years and have done most of the work with some exceptions. Am I in over my head? I figure it must be pretty labor intensive for them to charge the rates they qouted!!

Oh well Im thinking I'll go with Tokico non adjustables as MSA has them for 65 each plus shipping. Also Im thinking of european springs for the Z, Has anyone tried them..Little stiffer than stock. Or should I go Eiback?

Thanks in advance for any imput.

zfan..Mike bonk.gif

Having taken apart my Z suspension this winter, I have these words of advice to offer: It's a PITA but you'll appreciate it in the end, much like any other job you do on your car. One thing that has made life a lot easier for me is to get compressed air and an impact wrench. If you don't have a compressor, get the electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight for about $59--it's well worth it for taking off the gland nut on top of the strut. I did one side without it and it took about a couple of hours of WD40 and heating with a blowtorch to get it off. The other side took a couple of seconds with an impact wrench. What a difference.

Guest Anonymous

You might want to follow-up on SCCA's spring and strut offer which soounds good to me if you are not going coilover. If you want to lower your car I do not think you will see much drop in that set of MSA European springs. Spring replacement is not all that complicated but you want to be extra careful with those compressed springs because they pack a lot of wallop if they get loose. Sometimes the gland nuts on top of the strut tubes are frozen and need a little torch therapy. I have done the switch over with a good supply of tools in a weekend with about every problem manifesting it self!

• 1 year later...