HybridZ

Starter question

I bolted on my new starter today, and the only thing that bugs me is the starter gear is right up against the flywheel. So if its running, wont the starter gear be rotating with the flywheel? This is the second starter Ive bought, its like a 305 is a rare engine to find a starter that fits, if this one is wrong.Is this a problem? My old starter had it placed further back, and the starting gear was pushed forward then retracted back into the starter.

I didnt have any gas in the tank, but the engine turned over, so the re-wiring was semi sucessful. Any help will be appreciated.

Found out on my own. Starter gear should not be in contact with the flexplate the whole time. I bought 2 168 tooth flywheel starters accidentally. I got a 153 tooth starter on the way, this should be the final step on getting this beast on the road.

This page helped me identify which starters I had bought, and which one I needed to buy.

http://www.ecae.com/starter.html