HybridZ

I'm so close

280tyler

i made a post last week end that i was having trouble getting my car started and i said i didn't think it was getting fuel well this week end i found out that it is getting fuel and spark but i think my timing is off this is my first experience with megasquirt so i don't know if i set it up right . when i turn the car over it will fire for a couple of revs then it will pop out the intake and stop. I'm using msns-e I'm using mobythevan tune with different req fuel.

does anyone have any suggestions

does anyone live in Portland OR that has done this before that can maybe show me what I'm doing wrong

thanks

tyler

I'd hate to break it to you, but you may just be getting started. I had these symptoms and it took me 6 months of troubleshooting (and $$$) to figure it out.

If the timing is off... let's start with the basics. Please give us EXACT specifics on your timing setup (megasquirt model, who you bought it from, input wiring version, dizzy or edis, trigger and offset numbers, how you set it up, pullup resistor value, output from megasquirt, ignition type - vb, msd, etc, coil, and SPARK PLUG WIRE BRAND. Is the cap and rotor new? Tell us EVERYTHING about the setup.

Have you got it to idle, yet? Do all the guages in megatune read realistic values?

Step 2 is to tell us what the timing reads when you are cranking it over. Hold a timing light to the crank pulley and make sure it reads what is supposed to the whole time.

Tell us these things and we can start to talk.

i changed the req fuel because i'm using 440cc injectors

i'm running ms v3 i put together my self i bought it from glens garage, '82 dizzy i bought off ebay the cap and rotor look brand new but i cant say if the trigger is perfect, i set up the dizzy and coil wiring as per the instructions on diy auto tune.

i'm having a little problem setting the base timing i want to set it so the triggering angle is 60 deg but i can only get it to 40. when i have the timing mark at about 60 BTDC on the 1st cylinders compression stroke i can not turn the dizzy far enough to get it to spark. could this be because the dizzy/oil shaft is off by a tooth. i checked the cam timing it is good. when i have the tiger angel set at 40 BTDC and the dizzy turned all the way clock wise and crank it with a timing light on it is firing at 10 BTDC

i just bought a new coil (msd blaster 2) and new spark plugs (NGK bpr7es) and it is getting a nice white spark i can't think of the spark plug wire brand but there new

i have not got it to idle it hasn't fired for more then about 1 sec

thanks

tyler

Sounds like your oil shaft is off. It is VERY easy to get it off a tooth.

Make sure the #1 cylinder is at TDC compression and install the oil shaft. It should like the picture in your factory service manual for a dizzy shaft at #1 TDC. It works a lot better if you have somebody up top telling you if it looks right. Put the dizzy on (don't screw it down) and then make sure the rotor lines right up with the #1 plug on the cap. If it does - you are in business - screw everything down and make with the rest of the megasquirt setup installation (put motor back 60 degrees, rotate dizzy, etc). Post up if you have more questions.

i used the msq file he posted in the MSnS_Extra024s9 settings in jpeg format sticky not the file sharing sticky but maybe i'll try the one he posted there

thanks for the info on the oil pump shaft i'll give that a shot this week end i wish i had more time during the week to messaround with it full time student + full time job = not much time

thanks

tyler