HybridZ

Can't figure out a couple things MS1- V3.0

jrd

Well, today I got 90% of the wiring done on my 1970 240Z MS1 V3.0 upgrade (from SUs) and got the new 5/16" fuel lines almost in. I will post some pictures when it is done. Swapped in a 75Z tank, a R200 rear end while I had it all apart - plan on swapping in some chopped springs tomorrow as well. THis is my daily driver so I have to get it back together as quickly as possible. I am swapping up to MS to try and get better gas millage....it is currently 21 mpg around town...anyone think that I can hit 26 mpg...or better?

I am still stuck with the wiring for two items: the sheilded ignition wire from the DB37, pin 24 - where does that go? the negative terminal of the coil? Does the sheild connect to the positive terminal of the coil then? Also, what is pin 36 (which is labelled Ignition module/Coil) supposed to connect to? I am running a Dizzy from a 79ZX - the one with the ignition module on the side. Is this my fan control wire? Are there any issues with my not using a heated O2 sensor? For the FIDLE control, does that default to ground on power up? I mean what is the FIDLE logic? Does it look at the air and water temp and "decide" that it is too cold so it doesn't pull that terminal to ground? I was going to wire up my FIDLE so that the relay would switch it on when the FIDLE terminal was grounded....

Thanks

I'll take a stab at answering some of those questions:

pin 24 is that tach input signal to MS, it typically goes to the NEG coil terminal and the shield would go to ground.

If pin 36 is labeled coil then it would be used to fire your coil. Then you would not need your ignition module on the side of the Dizzy anymore.

A lot of times a non-heated O2 sensor will not work at idle/low rpm because it does not stay hot enough, that is the main reason to use a heated O2.

The FIDLE logic will provide 12 volts while the engine is cold to enable a FIDLE valve. Once the engine warms up then it would go to ground. If you have the stock AAR valve on your engine then just connect that to ignition switched 12 volts, you don't need to connect it to the MS at all.

Not sure what you are asking about the fan control wire.

OK, I spoke to Matt this morning and everything is much clearer. Turns out that the schematic includes the wires for the MSII - wires that are not connected up to anything in my case. The coil wire (pin 24) does indeed go to the negative post of my coil and the sheild is left un-connected at that end (grounded at MS 1 box). My fan control is on Pin 25 since this isn't an MSII set up. Also, for FIDLE I will just us a five position relay (Matt's suggestion) so that I can have the idle bypass only heat up when the engine gets to some temperature (i.e. turning off the the FIDLE at the MS unit will actually heat up my FIDLE and shut it). :P