HybridZ

Justin's 77 280z

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

The T6 collector is about 4.25" tall w/ flange. The T4 collector is 5.25" long w/ flange due to the smaller area it is merging into.

I've been looking at building a divided 6 into 2 turbo header for my 2JZ. I will be using 1.5" schedule 10 SS piping for the manifold. Here is an interesting model I did in solidworks comparing the T4 and T6 divided flanges when used for a 6 into 2 collector. It seems to me that the T6 collector would be much easier to build since the tubes match up much better to the turbine flange inlets. From my models it looks like you would have to crush down each 3-1 collector on the t4 flange for it to fit up properly. What yall think?

Justin

1comparisont6vst4uc5.jpg

2comparisont6vst4cz8.jpg

4comparisont6vst4zi7.jpg

5comparisont6vst4sc3.jpg

6comparisont6vst4pc4.jpg

Regards,

Justin

I was modeling the amount of grinding necessary to match the t4 flange outlet to the collector outlet. That can be seen in green. Also, this does simulate going in and welding up the four interior corners of the collector/flange merge as there is a abrupt shoulder there. Anyway, heres the picture.

Before Port Match:

3t4dividedcollector35wm7.jpg

After Port Match:

5t4dividedcollector35cj4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since my car has a crappy floor plan with rust issues along with other problems that needs some work I think I'm going to go ahead and cut out most of the factory sheetmetal under the seats and do a SFI 25.2 style floor section. I will basically be doing a 25.2 chassis without doing a backhalve or funnycar style cage around the driver. This seems to me the best way to go forward on the car as I won't be limited if I do want to go further with this chassis.

Anyway, here is what the floor section of the cage will look like. This will give me a chance to lay down fresh sheet metal. These pictures are from a drag radial stange...

dsc01204na3.jpg

dsc01199kt6.jpg

Justin

I've been really trying to define what I really want out of my car when it is finished. The first time I fell in love with these cars was when I read the Hot Rod Magazine Pump Gas Drags. The yellow 240z owned my Mark Eggers. This car ran low 9's on a pump gas setup and just looked so bad ass because it sat so low and had good sized tires under the back. I've seen a lot solid axel 240z that went to large on the tires IMO, and it just looks dumb. I want a good sized tire, and also to have the car nice and low. The only thing not for me is the riser hood. Anyway, here are some pictures of this car that started this whole love for datsun...

Dsc01920.jpg

240zpgdbi3.jpg

400-300_PGC2004_003.jpg

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Just throwing these pictures up in here so I keep everything together... I am not making much progress, but these pictures are kinda cool to check out....

I figure the best way to run a huge turbo on a L28 is to put it on the passenger side and run the header under the oil pan and up to the passenger side.

dsc00712pa8.jpg

dsc00715fp1.jpg

Once I remote mount the battery I'm going to have a 5" side dump with muffer:

dsc00724tq9.jpg

Also heres a picture of the TH400 with ultrabell waiting to be installed.

dsc00723em7.jpg

Happy Holidays,

Justin Olson

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Received my 6-2 T6 collector the other day. It turned out ok. I'm going to need to massage it a bit before welding up the manifold. I also just purchased a AEM 30-1050 ems. I'm hoping to start wiring that up to the existing engine to get some practice tuning it.

dsc00985yv9.jpg

dsc00988yb0.jpg

dsc00989fx5.jpg

Regards,

Justin

• 2 months later...

Been working a lot on getting some good seat brackets setup. I ended up using two ~5ft long pieces of 1" X 2" X 0.083" rectangular tubing. I think this will be a very solid way to mount the seats low in the car.

Also, Tonight I started stripping the paint off of the Datsun. I ended up using Mar-Hyde Aircraft Coating Remover 3711. It works pretty well at stripping the paint away from the body. Takes it right down to metal. I ran out of the spray. I think 5-6 cans could do the whole car. I went through 3 cans so far.

I started wire wheeling the areas where the paint had flaked and bubbled up. I'm glad I'm stripping down to bare metal so that I can find the rust and bondo. I ended up running into a good amount of bondo on the drivers side fender. Hopefully not to much elsewhere.

Justin

I wasn't able to get to lowes. I ended up at the home depot right next to my house and I got the rapid strip disc:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100553289&N=10000003+90054+524405

It worked very well! I worked on the car for ~20-30 minutes. I realize now with all the dust this creates, its pretty stupid to do this work without a respirator. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and get back to work.

picture022hj8.jpg

picture018jy0.jpg

picture024ap3.jpg

Justin