HybridZ

Diff leaks making me crazy

gretchen/jason

Well the diff in my 78 280z keeps leaking . i swaped it out some time back with a diff from a early 80,s nissan truck so as to get the 4.11 gears .

I replaced both shaft seals and took the cover off and re sealed the entire thing . It then started leaking again out the passanger side seal . So i fixed it once again now it likes to spit gear oil out the vent tube . The tube isnt cracked all parts are in place and ive checked the gear oil level so many times i lost count . I even took it and had it checked for cracks at a local diff shop .

Is this normal for this diff . The only difference is when it was in the truck it had a vent hose attached to it leading to the intake manifold i assume for a " emissions" type deal .

Jason

I think I have the same diff as you (R180 from Nissan pickup). After I installed the diffy and changed the side seals, I thought the leaks would all be done. Turns out the vent up top was loose (I could spin it around with no effort). Since I changed that it has been bone dry on the outside. Of course, it would have been a lot easier to replace when I had the diff out on the bench :bonk:

It sounds like one by one you're replacing the sources of your leaks. After that it should be good to go for a long time.