HybridZ

Is the 1995 Corvette 6 speed a T-56??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I was wondering what type of 6 speed transmissions came in the 1995 corvettes? Are they t-56's. Are they stronger than a T-56? Will they convert easy into a 1973 240Z with an LT1? Found what looks to be a possible deal on one and wanted to know if I should get it or wait for a t-56 or is it a t-56. any help is appreciated. Thanks

Those are called ZF six-speeds, If it came off of an LT1 it should fit. If it came off a DOHC LT5 it wont fit the LT1. Make sure the bellhousing is with it, it will only fit the LT1. They are much bigger and heavier than a T-56 (145#). They are strong though, rated at 450 lb-ft. gear ratios are 2.68,1.80,1.31,1.00,0.75,0.50. You would have to make a custom mount, it's not the same as other tranys. The tip of the input shaft to case front-mounting fase for the LT1 ZF is 6.280 inches.If you need more info contactCorvettes by J&D at 562-804-5205, or S&K Speed at 631-957-9427. Hope this helps!!

------------------

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have a 95 Vette LT1 with the ZF6. It came as one unit. Is there any reason I should 'run away'? I mean, is ther something terrible about how it performs or anything? I own it, I figure I might as well use it...

If it were to crap out on me, a T56 would mount up to my LT1 just fine, right? Would it require any other mods like a different length driveshaft?

Thanks

- Rob www.gatewayzclub.com

If you've already got the ZF then use it but if you're given a choice between two transmissions the ZF isn't the one you'd want. It's supposed to be noisier, heavier, bulkier, and the dual mass flywheel is supposed to be a PITA to work with. This is from the JTR book so take that for what it's worth. They devote a ton of pages to it and then tell you not to use it - the T56 pages are apparently newer and don't tell you enough. The TPITBI book has more info on the darned T56 than the Z swap book!

Just be aware that if it goes parts are supposed to be tough to get - ZF is apparently not well liked by JTR for this very reason. Even if you did have to get a new driveshaft to run a T56 later on that should be no big deal - run it if you've already got it IMO. Heh, unless someone wants to offer you a ton of cash for it to replace the broken one in their 'Vette!

Guest MistaFosta

Just wanted to give another insight on the ZF6... Buddy of mine has a 850 horse (blown) 69 camaro..

Had a t56 at first, but he split the tranny in two, literally. Cracked it down the center... He bought a richmond 6 speed racing trans, and tore that one apart as well. Snapped a shaft, if my memory works correctly...

Last trans. that he tried was the ZF6, He ran that for 6 months, before selling the car, and it still handles the power without a bit of trouble.

So it is heavier, and a bum to work on, but Its a lot stronger than your t56 IMHO.

------------------

------------------------

V-Tec This!

Mista Fosta

Hrm, I've not seen much about people using the ZF to know if it's capable of handling really high HP but there are more than a few blown Vipers running around with the stock T56. Granted, that T56 has slightly different gearing and other upgrades supposedly but....

It's also a matter of how you treat the trans. My stock T5 lasted over 2 years in my Mustang with 450hp in front of it and a ton of torque - till I beat it hard one day smile.gif I would hope that the T56 in a light car like the Z would take a good 600HP - hopefully I'll never find out smile.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I think my biggest problem with the ZF6 is going to be the shifter. It is mounted off to the side of the transmission whereas the T56 has it right in the middle. I don't think this is going to fit. Any ideas? I don't really want to have to wait till I can test fit everything... But if no one knows, I guess I don't have a choice...

The 7th edition JTR book actually has pics of that trans in a Z. They tell you all about the silly thing, tell you not to use it, and then give you the bare minimum on the silly T56 - which they recommend! (argh!)

I suppose the short answer is that they made it fit! You might also find some info on this trans in their TPITBI swap book. If you've not got this one handy give me a shout and I'll dig mine up to see if there's anything in it of interest concerning this trans - not sure where it's at right now! smile.gif