HybridZ

Calling all intercooled S30's...air filter placement?

I'm working on installing a Mitsubishi Evo intercooler on my Z, but I can't figure out where to put my air filter.

With the J-pipe setup, I have a cone filter in the same place as the stock air box. Obviously, the intercooler piping will not allow that anymore.

I'd rather not have an air filter right behind my radiator and electric fan and so close to the ground.

BTW, I have a Z31 ECCS and MAF.

Where did you guys put yours? Please post pics if you can.

Guest 280ZForce

do you have a picture of your engine bay and how you want to run your ic piping? cuz even with ic piping, you can run a filter to the front where the stock air box was. Depending on how your piping will be routed to your ic determines how you will need to route the intake piping though.

Guest 280ZForce

you can cut out some of the core support where the tb to ic pipe (charge pipe) will go and then route the intake piping under that 1 and then can put the filter in the front.

my core support on the drivers side, i hacked that all out pretty much. There's just barely any left.

in your situation, if you notice the 2nd hole below the top hole in the rad support, just cut out the piece between the 2 holes and run the cold air intake pipe through there.

And while you are at it...get a 240sx tb upgrade!

Guest 280ZForce
Check out this web page of my turbo swap. There are 3-4 pics of the IC piping and one shows the air filter. HOpe this helps. http://www.patch-marketing.com/280z.htm

his will be much simpler cuz he doesnt run a same sided intercooler like we do. Lucky you even, cuz all your pipes are smaller and you can fit all 3 through the support.

I have a 2.5" and a 3" pipe through the driver's side core support for my ic piping and then a 4" pipe off the turbo that runs down under the core support and back up so the filter is in the front behind the air dam.

his will be much simpler cuz he doesnt run a same sided intercooler like we do. Lucky you even, cuz all your pipes are smaller and you can fit all 3 through the support.

I have a 2.5" and a 3" pipe through the driver's side core support for my ic piping and then a 4" pipe off the turbo that runs down under the core support and back up so the filter is in the front behind the air dam.

I am running 2.25" pipe. 2.5" is just not necessary in my case. 2" would probably be even better with a stock T3, but I want room for future turbos upgrades.

Maybe I will go under the radiator and have the air filter come up.

I am not a believer in the 60 mm TB "upgrade". I think it may even be a downgrade. I do have an S13 TB laying around, however.

I hate to use my Z as an example and I know its not an S30, but it sounds like you plan to route the pipe the same way I did. I posted pictures last fall showing my install. Scroll down a few posts to see pictures. Hope this helps!! Good luck!