HybridZ

Supter T-10 to T-5 swap?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've decided to upgrade my Scarab conversion with a t-5.

Which year tranny do I get it from?

Will my current flywheel, clutch,clutch slave, etc...work or will I have to buy all new parts for the conversion?

Thanks,

Hoover

Hello Hoover,

The 1988 and newer Camaro T5's are the ones to get if you want to go that route. They are torque rated at only 300 lb-ft...A T56 is a better tranny, although they seem to be a BIT more expensive. If you want either, give GM Sports Salvage in San Jose a call--they are located on Old Oakland Road.

If get a T5, get the JTR recommended one with the .63:1 fifth gear since it's better for freeway driving. They also recommend shortening the shift lever by one inch to give a slightly shorter throw and to position the knob closer to the stock Datsun location.

Apparently, before 1984 very few GM applications had hydraulic clutches. From 1984 on they have been using hydraulic clutches on Corvettes and Camaros, so they recommend using the Camaro bellhousing when using the T5 tranny.

My book is very vague as to whether you can use the 168 tooth flywheel (probably what you have) or not with the swap--the issue being whether or not the starter will clear the frame. The 153 tooth flywheel definitely works and just needs an appropriate starter. You may have to buy a new pressure plate, clutch, etc since the old ones may not fit properly. Once you get a T5, see if anything will fit together using the parts you already have. My guess is to sell your stuff as complete unit and buy new (or used) T5 equipment as a unit.

If you get the chance, buy the JTR book since it is cheap insurance. I hope this helps you.

David