HybridZ

Dudeboys LS1/4l60E Hybrid

Here are some of the latest photos.
top_of_engine_2_5-12-07.JPG
front_of_engine_5-12-07.JPG

Old photo stick shift is gone !!!
seats2.JPG
jsr21.JPG

5-26-07 JTR radiator, taurus fan and tranny lines installed. Removing the to do list slowly.
ls_5-24-072.JPG
ls_5-24-075_list.JPG

I am shooting for something similar to this!!!!
widebody_1.jpg

The parts list:
1977 280 Z 4 speed
2002 TransAm WS6 LS1/4L60E
Johns Cars LS1 kit
JTR radiator, Taurus fan, Sandersons headers, cold air tubing.
Autometer guages
Replaced fuel line with Earls steel braided and stainless steel hard line.
Speartech computer re-program and custom harness
Summit complete body electric harness
Tokico suspension
Longacre pusbutton starter switch and toggle panel
Corbeau seats -APC steering wheel.
BAMF ZG FLARES
Street and Performance Alternator only serpentine kit and oil pressure sender tree.
B & M Quick silver stick shift

The stuff I still need to get:

Twist Machines paddle shifters (MAYBE ??)
TCI transmission controller
Autopower rollbar
Throttle body bypass
Sidepipes
Rims 17 x 11 an 17 x 9.5 BOZE Wheels 
Tires 315/35-17 and 255/40-17 Nitto NT05
Heat and sound insulation
weatherstripping
mirrors
Dashboard cracks fixed

Summit, Jegs, Oreilly , Autozone and Victoria British (Black Dragon) and MSA is where I have been shopping.

Edited by Dudeboy

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the latest photo. The cold air intake I put in place just for photo, I am waiting for my JTR brass tee for the steam vent to arrive, then I will tighten the CAI. The grill is generic import diamond mesh grill, that I cut to size and then painted it black. I also used truck door molding around the edge of the grill to frame it. My interior is going to be black and blue, so I painted my dash cap blue. Next on the list is installing the Autometer guages, heat and sound insulation, stick shift and then roll-bar, carpeting etc..............

CAI_DASH_CAP2.JPG

• 1 month later...

Big Thanks to GAZRNR (Rusty) for the pictures and information on how to install sidepipes on a Z. I had my O2 bungs welded to my flange and midpipes, so I am getting closer. So, I will do the driver side and get the exhaust all together and completed.

sidepipes_2nd_time_install_passenger_side.JPG

sidepipes_2nd_time_install_passenger_side_5.JPG

Installed B&M Quick silver, repairing crack dash - I am preparing to install the Autometer Guages, Pushbutton start/toggle switches, Flex a lite Mojave heater/defroster, heat and sound installation. Soon I will start installing the body/electric harness and find a good spot for the engine and transmission Pcm.

interior11.JPG

Next Paddle shifters, rollbar, brakes, rims and tires.

• 7 months later...

Back on it !!!

B & M quick silver stick shift and linkage installed. I finally got around to installing some heat/sound insulation, Autopower street bar and a Summit driveshaft loop.

zstret_bar.JPG

zDriveshaft_Loop.JPG

Now it is time to do a complete re-wire of the whole car (Summit Harness). Install the dash wire up the guages, install Flex a lite heater/defroster and engine harness !!! ADD fluid and see if it will start. Then it is on to the brakes, wheels/tires, and body/paint.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. Preparing for the electric Harness install, and I am doing and inventory of what I have and what I may need as far as parts and tools. I removed the stock ingnition wiring( the key will only be used to lock and un-lock steering wheel), turn signal, wiper, light swith switch from steering column. Moving everything to the dash with toggle switches. Also, I left the stock female connectors in place on the headlights, wipers, taillights, fuel/oil guage and temp/volt guage I will post and document the electric harness install this is what I have:

Summit Non-GM 18 circuit harness

Painless Fuel Pump relay kit

Longacre Pushbutton three toggle switch

Assorted toggle switches

Autometer electric TACH, SPEEDO and CLOCK- Stock fuel,volt,oil and temp

Flex-a-lite Heater defroster.

Speartech re-programmed ECU and new harness.

Ford Taurus fan

64 piece Weather Pack connector kit

Tools:

Crimpers

Wire stripper

Multimeter

Heat Gun

Shrink wrap

Soldering iron-solder

Lock ties

Butt connectors, male and female connectors.

Wiring Heat wrap

"How to Wire Your Street Rod From Start to Finish"16th edition by Jack Sweeden

"Automotive Electrical Handbook" by Jim Horner

1977 Datsun Factory Manual (The factory electric information is much more easier to follow than Autozone printout, Haynes or Chilton manuals)

What I need to get $$

**Aziza posted a Hot rod shop that sells Headlights with integrated turn signals in them. (need to purchase)

**I am still on the fence about Twist machine paddle shifters. I have e-mailed some hot-rod guys, and they indicate it is fun and different, but it does not replace that feeling of shifting gears. I am alright with that (I have 6 speed C5)the 4L60E with B & M will suit me just fine. Will get the photos up on Tuesday.

After some PM to some members, weighing pros-cons of time and money, and really wanting o get the car on the road. I have decided to sell the Porsche Turbo fiberglass flares and get a set of 280ZFORCEs' wider ZG flares.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the photo of the mockup for my toggle panel. My wife found me some leather like vinyl material, and I have some couch foam (fire retardent !!), I will wrap the panel in the foam and vinyl, then attach to the center console. Lights, signal lights, wipers will be toggle switches. I flirting with the idea of attaching the stock hazard switch to the panel. Once, I get back on my feet I will finish the wires for the dash, put dash back in the car and attach the Flex-a-lite heater/defroster. THEN !!!!!Finally start wiring the whole car !!

Dash_and_Toggle_5.JPG

Here is a small engine picture--I will get better pictures in a couple of days.

zengine_pic_55_1_.JPG

• 2 months later...

I am getting closer, work on the dash today and work on some areas I have not had a chance to get to.

July_4th_engine_Picture.jpg

Saturday, I will install the dash wiring and put the dash back in the car. I now can get ready to install the complete electric harness and engine computer.

second_dash_pick_3.jpg

• 4 months later...

Back in the garage finally !!!! 3 months of football and cheerleading with my kids !!!!

Had to go and re-read notes and manuals that came with the guages, chassis harness and the Speartech harness. In the next two weekends I am hoping to get all the electric stuff done so I am can move on to brakes and body. I will put the dash back in the car tomorrow and figure out how I am going to mount the Flex a lite Mojave heater/defroster.

Change in bodywork plans; I was going to use rear fiberglass 930 Porsche Turbo Flares (I still have, someone please take them off my hands for a small fee !!!) Instead, I have Justins BAMF ZG flares so I will still be able to use 315/35 -17 or 315/30-18 in the rear. Hopefully, I will be able to get wheels/tires and brakes before I start fitting the ZG flares.

Pics. from today motor was dusty and full of spider webs !!!

finished_dash_wiring1.JPG

engine_pic_november_08.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the dash wired and back in the car. Also, I am trial fitting the Flex a Lite Mojave heater and looking at my mounting options. Next is getting the engine/chassis complete wired. I may put the new fuse panel were the stock Z computer was located and put the LS1 computer under the passenger seat.

dash_pic_1.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made some progress today !! I am getting everything in place to install the chassis and engine electric harness. Did a trial fit of wheels, and the BAMF ZG flares will be a close fit. I place the Flex a Lite Heater in place and ran the hoses, but I need some more firewall grommets and some flat stock to make a "S" bracket to attached the heater. Doing as much as I can with the time allowed, hopefully here soon I can get a whole weekend free to dive into the electric.trial_fit1.JPG

heaterhose.JPG

• 2 months later...

Finally !! I have started to wire the Z up, Do I know what I am doing NO !!! Searched and read auto electric books, e-mailed some of the factory five cobra guys (learned alot !!!)This is what I am working with: Summit 18 circuit dash complete electric harness, Painless electric dash harness, Autometer electric guages except volt/oil presssure, Longacre pushbutton start-two toggle switch panel, Speartech LS1/4l60 E Harness and ECU re-program, Flex alite Mojave Heater, Ron Francis Hot rod light switch and Column signal/hazard light. Need to mount the heater about 6 inches back than in this picture, but I want to connect all my dash wires before I mount the heater and run my defroster hoses. Putting the dash back in, I crack the dash cover in a few places, so I need sand and re-paint. I have decided not to mount the LS1 ECU under the seat, I will mount the ECU in the engine bay. Also, I am using connectors from Ron Francis Wiring for the interior that are similar to stock connectors. In the engine bay I am using Delphi weather pack connector.

electric_2.jpg

Edited by Dudeboy
added picture

• 3 weeks later...

I am doing a little each night after work and some time on Saturdays. But I think I understand this electric stuff. Right now I have the body, interior and engine wires ran to there location. I will begin to run all the ground wires this weekend and make the connections from the LS1 harness to the chassis harness. Hopefully, Sunday and the rest of the week I will beign to make connections to lights, dash, toggle switches and engine bay area.

engine_pic.jpg

• 3 months later...

The latest update !!!I did away with the Summit Harness universal harness, just to many issues with it. I have since bought a 8 Circuit harness from Kwikwire, and the instructions are clear and the harness is very nice. I got some help technical advice from a couple a Factory Five Cobra guys on how to wire toggle switches to chassis harness to a computer controlled car and they were great.

So, the engine harness is connected and the pcm is mounted. I wired the Taurus fan, fuel pump and new headlight harness. Tommorrow I will work on the front lights, horn and begin to do the wire connections for the dash (guages and toggle switches)and the heater/defroster. Another 8-10 hours and the wiring is done !! test and re-test get the fire extinguishers and se if she will start !!!

fusepanelkwikwireaug09.JPG

pcmmountedaug09.JPG

passengerductingaug09.JPG

Edited by Dudeboy
added pictures

• 1 month later...

Making a little progress ! The engine, lights, park/ neutral switch and engine merged into chassis harness is completed. I have a closed loop grounding kit and most of above is grounded. I need to mount grounding junction, connect grounds to horn, taurus fan , engine to chassis. Got a question about the Autometer electric speedo, which I will post in the LS-GenIII-IV section.

What is left to wired is Hotrod signal switch, Generic gm headlight switch, and Flex-a-Lite heater. I wired the dash and toggle switches and installed weather pack connectors on one end and installed the other side of the weather pack connectors to the chassis harness. Next week, time permitted can put dash back in car connect 5 junctions of weather pack connectors, I can test the electric as a complete unit and start her up !!! I can move on to brakes, axles, carpet, put seats back in, buy tires and install ZG flares.

dashwire003.JPG

I am writing down what I want to do in the garage and sticking to that checklist for the day !!! Thanks Vinh ! Will get the dash back in the car this week and connect the dash harnesses, to the chassis harness. I will find a good location to bolt in the grounding bus bar and make a few connections and wiring is done. The Mojave Flex a lite heater and switches was a pretty straight forward install, so I am finishing the wiring and the heater install as it is beginning to cold.

Before:

Toggle_dash_2.JPG

After:

Ptogle001.JPG

Edited by Dudeboy
Added before picture

• 1 month later...

The complete re-wire is done and the dash is back in, and I tested each circuit and so far so good. I need to put the fluids in and check for leaks and re-torque and re-tighten bolts. Big thank you to David (1 tuff Z) for his time and information as I move on to the next phase, brakes and axles, which I am looking forward to !!!

dashin6.JPG

• 2 years later...

Wow !!! It is going on 6 years !! I am still at it. I installed Wolf Creek CV Axles last weekend, and this weekend I will install Ethan's Silvermine Stage 3 & 4 Rear Disc conversion and front brakes, new front bearings and ARP Longer Wheel studs. I will post pictures this weekend. Next on the menu is ordering tires and mounting rims, put them on the car, so I can measure we're to cut so i can install the Wider ZG Flares. Getting closer !!!!