HybridZ

Non-Z related... Horizontal Radiators?

tannji

Hey, just looking for some input on a project I got challenged with.

We are putting up a pool for the kids on a budget... and we have very few hours of direct sun available where the pool has to be placed. From past experience, the pool will not exceed 70 degrees on its own, even with consistent use of a solar cover. I did a quick search and came upon this site:

http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/

This apparently worked well enough, but not only is it too "Redneck" to pass visual muster with the GF, I don't want to sacrifice my grill, and I have that essential instinct that I could do it better and cheaper. (Big surprise there, huh?)

My initial idea is to build a sheet-metal cabinet, with a sacrificial budget gas BBQ burner in the bottom, and one or two horizontally placed radiators stacked approximately one foot above the burner position, topped off by a tapered body feeding a flue. my existing filter and pump would supply the flow, with the intake consisting of a large proportioning valve to split and control the flow to the pool and the heater.

Obviously my initial concern is to avoid overheating the radiators to the point of melting solder joints. I believe that between the heat gas flow control and the proportioning valve controlling the volume pumped through the radiators, I should be fine, but I could also add "CAI" vents above the flame, if necessary.

The other concern is my primary reason for posting; I do not know if the radiators will take issue with being horizontally mounted. I intend to design them to be easily bled of air, and the pumping system is designed to prevent air intake in the first place. Are there any other issues to be aware of here?

tannji