HybridZ

Planning my first 280Z V-8

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have always wanted a 280Z V-8 with a standard gear box, so this is my plan, it will be a daily driver (no winters) and I am on a tight budget (who isn't) it will be a 76-78 280Z with a s-b chevy 327 cu,in.,T-5 trans (the one for $250) R-200 rear. I do not have the car yet, but I do have the engine, its low time, and may need a fresh'n up, nothing major, and I have the trans. I would like to get some in-put on my plan, and any and all suggestions please would be helpfull. oh yea I do have the JTR manual. thanks dave

Guest RON JONES

Dave dosn't have His Car yet because he's waiting for Me.I'm hopeing to go get My new Z in N.J. this weekend,and at the same time find His Car.The guy I'm geting Mine from has a few more He is willing to part with.So if all goes as planed ,I will get My car and Dave will get some pics to choose His from,and a car to pic up(I have a fealing I'll be picking it up,I owe him a favor or two).

With the trans you've got you're already doing well smile.gif A 327 motor shoudl run fine but beware the T5 as they can be fragile. Take care of it and it'll take car of you. Switching to a synthetic fluid in that puppy would be my first move!

As for "the plan" not bad but you might want to consider a few things more. Gauges, cooling, suspension, and BRAKES. You will need those brakes smile.gif there are lot's of ways to upgrade the brakes discussed elsewhere but you should certainly pay attention to that item. Oh, and try to find a candidate that lacks rust or needs paint smile.gif

Guest RON JONES

What was I doing?CRACK.Actully I had to get up to place a bid on ebay.I've been getting into collecting 1/24 scale Nascar diecast cars(Action).If you find what you want,and the auction ends in the middle of the night,you can usually get a good deal.I hammer My bid in with 30-40 seconds left on the auction.If I see something I want this is what I do.I won't put any bids on it until there is 40 seconds left.I got a new in the box Jeff Gordon 1999 Action CWC 1/24 scale rainbow car for $24.05.Some poor guy went to bed with a $23.05 bid on it,and I came in and grabbed it.You can't get these Cars that cheep at the more normal times to bid.

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited March 27, 2001).]

Guest RON JONES

Yep,I want to know more.I'm new to this ebay stuff.Why do I do it Myself?I don't know any better.I bought My first Item from ebay a week ago.And I thought I was being slick,Kind of makes Me feel,well,like a Moron.Hey,Dave it looks like this thread is going a little off subject,sorry,it happens all the time.

Guest Anonymous

Hey,Hey,Hey, lets get back to this car that I do not have yet! As for the plan, I don't have all the details worked out yet (thats why I'm asking you guys for some info) with the gauges I would like to use as many of the stock Datsun gauges as I can, the JTR manual covers this topic, can someone advise me on the pro's and con's of hooking the stock gauges to a chevy engine? stopping would be nice, and I want the car to handle well. Ron, you better call and make reservations at the JONES INN for Super chevy this year, I will have to call Paul and make plans to get together.:

Yep,I want to know more.I'm new to this ebay stuff.Why do I do it Myself?I don't know any better.I bought My first Item from ebay a week ago.And I thought I was being slick,Kind of makes Me feel,well,like a Moron.Hey,Dave it looks like this thread is going a little off subject,sorry,it happens all the time.

Umm, Ron - that's known as "bid sniping". why do you do that yourself? They make software that will do that for you and allow you to sleep at night smile.gif The software I use is called Cricket Jr. and works just fine. Let me know if you'd like to know more about it....

Guest chevsun

Dave the gauges should be no problem. If I can do it anyone can just take your time and use the JTR they identify all the wires for you and basically tell you everything for the swap. If you dont have the JTR book get it. It will be the most valuable part of the swap. Use a multimeter or test light to prove things before cutting. I did a 73 240 with not much problem. Just take each wireing step one at a time and it doesnt seem so overwhelming I did have trouble with the fuel gauge as I went with a 16 gal fuel cell with the GM sender but now that I am going t-56 I have changed to autometer ultra lite gauges.

Guest Anonymous

Chevsun, thanks for the reply, I still am wondering about the tach. It's more curiosity than anything, but I know with some of the after market tach's there is a setting for 4,6,or 8 cylinder's and the RPM's change with each settig, do those tach's measure rotation from each cylinder fired, and other's measure one complete rotation of the crank? I know, shut-up and just do what the JTR manual say's. thanks Dave.(or as the locals call me Green Horn)

Guest Anonymous

Chevsun, Make sure to stop in and see Ron at the super chevy show, I will be there, I was there last year as well. Can't wait for spring to melt all this snow! I am usually a big fan of the stuff, but I broke the bank on my snowmobile last year, and had two melt downs blasting accross the lake! this year it sat broke. Dave