HybridZ

Radio + stereo = radio through stereo? (electronics guru special)

sooo....i was thinking as i was on a drive with a buddy of mine, about the stereo i bought for my z.

its an Alpine CDA9856, and has an option for the bluetooth kit, which as i understand it, when installed will interrupt the music when you get a phone call, and can play the call through the speakers.

So i was thinking if there was a way to use the same interrupt feature and wire in a 2 way radio. i know that they have different frequencies, but i was thinking that the same feature might still be usable. I would be willing if need be to take apart a radio of mine if this could work...just don't know if its even physically possible with a radio

Just wondering what you guys think of the idea, and if it could be done?

For it to be practical or relatively easily done, the 2-way would need to be Bluetooth compatible as well. I would imagine that your 2-way has a dual plug for mic and earpiece, and you might be able to direct the output from the ear piece to an 1/8" jack input on your stereo, if it has that option. The output from the 2-way will be a Mono output, not stereo. you can run the monaural signal from the 1/8" output into a stereo jack (from radioshack) hooking up the positive feed from the 2-way to the left and right contacts, and the negative output to the stereo jack's common ground. With an external clipped mike you could even use the voice-activated mic option, (if your 2-way has it), but this would require keeping your speakers turned low to prevent them from activating the mic and initiating a feed-back loop.

There are a few ways you could try and do this.

I think the simplest solution would be to design a separate module that could be hooked up to the output of the stereo. The 2-way radio would plug into this unit and would control the volume of the stereo. If a call came in on the radio then the stereo would be shut off and the radio would be played on the speakers. Seems like a lot of work and you are kind of reinventing the wheel.

If the bluetooth kit is a separate module you could try and adapt it to your design. But if the bluetooth system is built into the stereo you could have a hard time getting everything working properly.

Oooo another idea....

If the stereo has a aux input that you are not using, you could plug the radio in there and design a circuit to automatically switch over when a call came. That seems like the best idea. Depending on how the different systems are working it could still be fairly complicated.

Keep us updated on this if you try and make it work. I am a Electrical Engineering student and can lend any help you want.