HybridZ

Distributor help , which one might fit

So far ive been running a MSD pro billet HEI distrubitor on my sbc 350 in my 78 280z . Well i got me a 77 280z in great condition and i want to put my sbc in that z but i want to keep the stock hood latch .

What other distrubitor can i use that is as simple to hook up a a HEI but will clear the hood latch . I used hood pins on my 78 as i choped off the stock hood latch i dont want to do that on the new z .

Thanks

Jason

I tried that and the hood would never shut corectly . I moved the latch and all the parts 6 inches to the drivers side just barley cleared and when ya shut the hood the pasanger side would lift up slightly . It just never worked liked i wanted it to no matter how much i alterd and and welded the new setup .

Jason

• Administrators

The only options I am aware of to retain the OE hood latch is convert to DIS, install an LT 1, A Scarab type conversion, (the SBC is mounted much further forward), or SBF, (or other front dizzy V-8). Personally, I think a dual latch set up such as the Vette uses, would be nice, no idea how much hassle it would be to install on the Z car… Or just us the JTR hood latch idea. It works and works well and with some creative work, grinding etc, I'm sure it can be made to look OE.

Thanks braap ill look into JTR hood latch . Im not looking for a " stock look " just would like to get rid of the hood pins no matter how i have to modify it as long as it shuts without pins .

I thought of moving the engine forward but i have a clearance issue as i use a supercharger that left me little room between the crank pully and the electric fan . I will be using the JTR trans mount though with MSA's engine mounts .

Jason

Because of the Tri-Power on my engine and because I am using the JTR type of engine mounting (with an extra 1" rearward slot) I used an MSD 8750 small diameter billet distributor. http://www.msdignition.com/dist_9.htm I'm not sure but it might work because it is a really small, low profile dizzy. The downside is it does not have a vacuum advance.