HybridZ

The '71 4-speed blues

JessZ

I'm not even sure it's the tranny, could be the differential?

When driving in 1st-3rd gears there is a gnarly whinning sound that gets louder the higher the RPM, and reverse is shot. Reverse makes this crazy clunking/grinding sound when the clutch is depressed. (Not confused with typical Z-clunking). And when I decelerate is 1st-3rd it does the same thing. I have no problem shifting gears, it's smooth. 4th gear runs like a champ, there's no whinning sound and no indication anything is wrong.

I thought maybe something went wrong with the clutch too, like the flywheel came loose, but I'm not sure this makes sense. Anyway, I'm trying to get some ideas so I know where to start. I've heard differentials don't really go bad, but it's hard to tell because the noise could be coming from the rear.

Every gear but fourth requires the countershaft. Fourth is straight thru from input to output shaft. Sounds like you have syncro and/or gear troubles. Pull the drain plug. It has a magnet attached and will probably be heavily coated in metal fragments. Sounds like a five speed swap is in order.