HybridZ

Finally started wiring!

christoc

My plugs in the thermostat housing for the ports I'm not using were leaking bad. I got one sealed but ended up putting the temperature switch back in the other to keep that port sealed. It seems to be an odd deep thread. The pitch is easy enough to match, but the depth of the threads leaves a normal bolt or plugs loose even with tape.

L-28 engines (that's what it is right?) have BSP threads (British Standard Pipe thread) You can get fittings and pipe plugs from McMaster Carr

L-28 engines (that's what it is right?) have BSP threads (British Standard Pipe thread) You can get fittings and pipe plugs from McMaster Carr

Yes it's an L28, my friend had already retapped them for NPT instead of BSPT before I figured out that everything was in BSPT.

Tonight I told myself I wouldn't start the car, I would get ready for my trip to Chicago tomorrow (going up there to give two days of DotNetNuke training classes).

But I couldn't help myself, I had to get the camera and record the new exhaust! It's not quiet, but oh it sounds so sweet!

Here's a 2mb WAV file of the car running

Here's a large WMV video of the same thing

Well, that whole process was fun.

The motor no longer runs, and is probably a loss. I'll pull it out sometime later this summer/fall and take it apart and see what exactly happened. But long story short at the first autocross yesterday, first run, something appears to have dropped into the #2 cylinder and done some damage.

http://www.project240z.com/Blog/tabid/53/EntryID/94/Default.aspx

Now, I guess this Winter's project will be to locate a LS1!

I went out to the garage tonight with the hopes of trying to figure out what went wrong on Sunday.

I was going to take the valve cover off and see if I saw anything out of the ordinary, then pull the head if I could get to that. Before doing those two things though I figured I should drain the oil out of the motor. Much to my suprise when I drained the oil it wasn't oil that came out first, it was coolant, then oil followed.

1121489208_b95723354c_m.jpg

Once I discovered that I began to lose hope that I would be able to salvage anything in this motor. Thoughts of a cracked block filled my head. Nevertheless I proceeded forward with removing the valve cover and whatever else I could get to.

When I pulled the cover off I started looking around and immediately found something that looked out of place. Ends up I found two things out of place, two of the rocket arm guides were laying on the cylinder, with a little Matlock work I found that both the guides from the #2 cylinder were not in the correct place.

1121928912_e64a78ead2_m.jpg

1121096163_380c044e99_m.jpg

From there I didn't get too far, I did get the timing sprocket and chain removed, and ended up getting the camshaft remove as well, but I was unable to see anything out of the ordinary. I even tried sticking a magnet into the spark plug hole on the #2 cylinder with hopes of pulling some bits of metal out of there, hoping to find something awry.

No dice, so I'll have to wait until this weekend to get further on the investigation. I'm going to have to pull the motor out of the car in order to take the manifolds off so that I can remove the cylinder head and see what happened on Sunday.

Here's a link to the video of me working in the garage tonight. Notice the music!