HybridZ

keeping front end down

IMHO, putting on a swaybar is the opposite of what you want to do. In fact, you want just about full extension of the front suspension with quick rebound and slow compression on the front and the opposite on the rear. This allows maximum weight transfer and prevents the rear weight from unloading too quickly. I know this will probably start another flurry of "Zs squat too much" discussions but I am not going to question the success I am having. When I launch you can stand there and count the coils on my front springs :D

Not a very good pic, but this is probably what you are trying to get rid of, correct?

DSCF0326.JPG

Guest Thurem

Hey 660Z

are you running independent rear suspension?

If you are the front swaybay should not make a difference. As opposed to a solid rear axle where the twist from the driveshaft will make the car twist the other way and a swaybar would try and stop this and put less pressure and traction on one wheel. I would say, tune your weighttransfer with your shocks, like Scottie suggested.

Thure

thanks for the imput guys...yes scottie that is what im trying to correct or at least lessen..back in the day my nova had great weight transfer i had it launching with 14" street tires 22" tall! with no traction devices at all!!...a little traction loss and no wheel hop...the big secret was rear leaf springs (2-3yrs old) WORN OUT shocks i mean when i finally changed them the passenger side had no resistance...i ran no front swaybar for a while and later added one but it made no differance...and at the time it was mid 12`s...added 125 shot NOS and slicks to prove a point to some mustang guys and put air under the left front tire and gained a little over a second.

anyway my theory for my 240 is...im wasting useful energy in wasted weight transfer remember my springs and shocks are shot...going over a micron of dust puts the front on the stoppers..and i think holding the front end down would force the rear down harder at a more even or level rate speading the energy across the rear..see in my rambleings about my nova what made everything work so well is the suspension forced the framestops on both sides of the axle tubes and all that force and body weight transfered to the launch...but the body on my independant rear isn`t doing that granted im getting 1.8 60`s walking out on DR`s but i think it could do better....watch the big boys i guess pro mods? or "worlds fastest steet cars" they are as low and flat as possable..very rigid on their launch.....i just don`t know how to safely keep the frontend down since they have no upper A arms...mark

p.s. scottie im with you all the way on your launch when i do the suspension i`ll look like a copy cat to yours...im just thinking outside the box while i have the chance.

im looking for better 60` times and i think it can be found in my suspension....the car has way too much weight transfer and since the springs and struts are shot all around i`d thought i`d experment...besides a front swaybar whats the best way to keep the front down....can i put something on the coils?...mark