HybridZ

280z transmission swap

Guest hoda022290

Guest hoda022290

hey i have a 76 280z with a five speed thats going out and i was wondering what would be the best tarnsmisssion i could put in without and modifications....im not sure about the current transmission in there sine it is a five speed which wasnt avialible in 76 so the previous owner must have changed it.... i went to the junk yard and am having trouble finding 80-83 five speeds because all the ones in the junk yard are auto or t-5's but i am finding some 240sx's and some other cars so i was wondering wut transmission i should use

At the rear of your present transmission there are one or two ears cast into the tailhousing. These are just below the shifter area. Two ears (one on either side) it's an early 5 speed. One ear on driver's side means it's a late 5 speed from a 280ZX. They're both good but the later has a closer gear set from 1 through 5. The KA (240SX) transmission is a very good choice but you'll need to modify the older 5 speed bellhousing to accept the KA guts and tailhousing assembly.It also requires a modified driveshaft. You can rebuild your tranny if you acquire a bearing and syncro kit. It requires a few special tools and a good hydraulic press. Too bad you're on the west coast. I build these for side money but shipping back and forth would be prohibitive.