HybridZ

Motul 5.1 or 600 brake fluid?

What would you guys recommend for a street driven 240z with the occasional track day? 5.1 has wet/dry bp of 356/522 degF and 600 is 420/593 so obviously 600 is a bit higher but the Motul website talks about 5.1 being very stable for long lasting usage. As far as I can tell, both are compatible with DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid. Both are a synthetic but not silicone based. Any real world experience? Stock calipers, KVR carbon/metallic pads, BTW.

I have been using the Valvoline Synpower Dot 4 Synthetic for street and HPDE's with good results. It is 343/502 boiling points and I've had no problems at all. My car has the Arizona Z Wilwood conversion w/ Performance Friction pads. I see you're from Durham; are you coming to the Tri-Z HPDE at Kershaw next weekend?

Yes, that is the plan. By next weekend you mean the 19th-20th, right? I would hate to show up on the wrong day bonk.gif This will be my second track day, I'm pretty psyched. All I plan to do is replace my brake fluid and tweak the carbs. No time to do anything else. I have already rigged up some brake ducts. Last time I warped my rotors. Will you be there? I would love to see a V8Z run.

Yeah, I'm going to be there. White 73 240, pulling it with a red Dodge pickup. Let's try to meet up; What will you be driving?

Back on the brake deal, it's a real good idea to completely change the fluid if you haven't done it in a while, say a couple of months. As you know, kershaw is very hard on brakes. One other reason I like the Valvoline is at 4.99 a quart it doesn't break the bank. I usually change it before every event.

John