HybridZ

Found a Jag with JTR in the yard..questions

Hi all,

I found a Jag with the JTR conversion in a yard. I can probably get the whole drivetrain for $200. My question is how much will it cost me for a shop to rebuild the motor? and how much would it cost to get this thing in the 350HP range? Please email me if you like.. Thanks for any help..

Vinh

anh3pa@hotmail.com http://vvu.tripod.com

Guest Frank280z

Hey Vinh. Dig the paint on your ZX!!! First off, Is the engine a sbc 305 or 350? 350 hp is pretty easy to get to in a rebuild. I can not help much with rotating assy. info...I'll let the pros on the forum take care of that. I followed edlebrocks recipe for 400-425hp. But I used iron heads.

Frank

To know a 350 from a 305 you need to obtain block#'s. Get the #'s from the rear of the engine flywheel housing-just to the side of the distributor. Prior to '86' all blocks had a 7digit figure stamped into the block; while 86 & post blocks had the actual Litre "5.0, 5.7" ect stamped into it. Get those #'s & report back to us!

To check for a 400ci just look at the harmonic balancer to see if its a non-balanced unit. Some 400ci blocks had a number stamped in to the side of the block.

Still; once you've confirmed the block/you still dont know what's been done to the internals w/out a tear down.

Dont forget; when you're throwing "HP" figures around to decide if you want Flwheel (FWHP) horsepower or Rear Wheel HP (RWHP) to reach the 350hp range.

As you know; if your engine reaches the 350hp range the actual drive wheels only get about 80-85% of that power!

So, if your engine has 350 FWHP & your rear wheels get 85% of that; your rear wheels then are putting out 297 RWHP.

Likewise; if you want 350 RWHP then your engine needs to be cranking out the 411 FWHP range.

Just a reminder!

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Vinh,

I also liked your hood painting; Bruce Lee kicked butt/literally; isnt your hood picture a scene from "Enter the Dragon" at the very end where Bruce takes on the Master? Did you see the most recent Hollywood picture "Crouched Tiger Hidden Dragon"..very very cool movie!

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited April 09, 2001).]