HybridZ

Is There a 'Perfect' Rack for Power Steering?

Boy would I like to get some answers here also. I want to do this mod along with my 350 swap and am wondering if it can be done with the motor in or if it has to be done first. Also Tomohawk I am about 3.5 hours from you near cincinatti If and when you get this mod done I may just have to come check it out sometime. Replies Please...

Guest Anonymous

Someone on this board posted a pic of an 83 280zx rack mounted in a 260. Looked as close to bolt in as any mod with these cars does. I'll be doing this swap this winter. Mark

That would be the one to check out. If it fits with relatively little mods, go for it.

I bought a third gen RX7 PS rack from the JY and it mounts exactly the same way as the stock Dastun rack, period. The only issue (if this is an issue) is that the right side is two inches longer than the Datsun rack. Therefore, the rod at the end must be shortened. How this plays in with bumpsteer and possible suspension problems (if any) remains to be seen, but I know this sucker will bolt up exactly like the stock rack.

Davy

I've read all the available info so far. I was wondering if there was any new stuff not involving a significant amount of fabrication. That way, I might get a Trans shop to do the work, instead of waiting months and paying megabucks to get the only custom guy in town to do it.

Originally posted by TomoHawk:

My 280Z is totally stock. that means I shouldn't have much of a bumpsteer problem, right? Can be more specific about what is a 3rd Gen. RX-7?

How about: the last body style of RX7, like the one BLKMJK drives. Shaped like a peanut... smile.gif

Davy

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by TomoHawk:

Can you be more specific about what is a 3rd Gen. RX-7?

A phone call to the dealer tells me it's a '93 RX-7. the boneyard guy told me that a '94 or even '95 might be the same, but wasn't sure. I think I will do some 'Net searching for a JY specializing in Mazda parts.

What about the Subaru? Somebody said it was a close fit, but what is the final word on the Subaru (Forrester) rack?