HybridZ

280Z V8 conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am going to put a ssmall block 350 in my datsun. With a 700r-4 transmission. I have the JTR manual and a motorsports catalouge so i can order everything i need for the connversion. I want to make more car street legal yet kick ass on a 1/4 mile. Is there anything i should addd for more horsepower? anythinng i should't do? or just give me you comments?

Guest Fast Frog

Your options are numerous depending upon your application and the amount of $$$$ you have or want to spend!! You can build a 350HP setup with out too much trouble and expense by using pocket ported factory hds, a good but streetable hyd lifter cam (in the 220-230 deg duration @ .050 & .450 to .480 in lift), and a good induction system-carburated or otherwise. Much more HP can be gained by upgrading to higher performance components such as hi flo aluminum hds, hyd roller cam and maybe having or rebuilding your engine to a 383; but then the $$$ cost starts to rise dramatically. There's a lot of discussion on this forum about the merits of carburation, TBI and TPI systems, so I won't get into that.

You appear to be on the right foot by having the JTR conversion manual. I would read it closely. Another piece of humble advise is to surf thru the many fine posts and replies on this forum! There's a lot of great advise and tech talk that can help you a lot!

So, welcome to the site!

And good luck!! smile.gif

Rick

Like FastFrog said; it all depends on the bucks you wish to spend (or Not Spend). If you're not sure which components to use; make a free call to some tech lines/they always have their "In-House" recipe's for Hp/Torque builds: this should give you a reference of where you are/where you need to be.

Definately read thru the past threads & memorize the JTR manual. Spend a lot of time understanding the important issues of CFM/Airflow/Timing as well as Gearing. This way-your choices wont be a "Guess" but an educated choice & you most likely wont be disappointed afterward. Be patient in your choices & ask lots of questions & dont let anyone "Bull" you into accepting their ideas-its your pocketbook!

When you are surfing thru all the possibilities remember the most important things.

1) What will be your basic/most often mph you'll be driging

2) Where will you be driving it most

3) What would you like your peak power "RPM" to be

4) You already know you transmission type

5) What tires size are you planning on using

6) What would you like your car to do in the 1/4 (this is usually a point of referance-regarding HP/Torque)

*NOTE: Once you've determined where you prefer you RPM "Peak-Power" to come in-you can then begin looking at cam/intake selection which parallels the rpm's of your required "Peak-Power Band".

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)