HybridZ

Mods for a 350

Guest nezzie76

Guest nezzie76

Hello everyone,

First of all I'm glad that I'm going to join the ranks of 570z's and be able to write in this forum. My sad little Z needs a little pep so that my friend w/ 65 mustang will shut up. He goes so far as to say that his 67 falcon and his parents taurus can beat me. The sad thing is that he's right.

We'll show him though. I've got a 350 coming for $75 bucks that supposed ran before he took it out of his pickup. He says that it has 3 bad freeze plugs (?). Not really sure what he's talking about but I plan to rebuild it anyways. My question to you guys is what kind of mods should I make? I'm trying to get a reasonable amount of HP for a small price. I figure new 4 barrel carb and intake. Maybe lower friction valves and rocker arms and such. I'm wondering what other low cost boosts I can make. I'm planning on a T-5 trans so I don't need that much power but 250-275 would really nice. I need to beat that mustang crazy guy!

thanks guys!

Guest Anonymous

Hey man hows it going, glad to have you join us. As a fellow newbie I would like to say that I'm sure you'll like this page the guys here are great and are always willing to help smile.gif Oh, before I forget if you want to know what a freeze plug is, freeze plugs are like little caps in the block that are designed to break when the antifreeze freezes. 'cause when water freezes it will expand and if those plugs weren't there to break and relieve the pressure it would seriously stress the block maybe even crack or warp it.

anyhoo, on to your question about cheap power. I am mainly a mopar man but some of my buds do the chevy thing...don't know why! (just jokin you guys) but I have picked up some tips of the trade from them. Actually if you look around hard enough here you will find just about all of them. I'll just make a list of some the the things you can do for beginners.

1. Scour the local junkyards! sometimes you will be amazed what you can find there!

2. if you want more compression you can run a set of 305 heads to boost it to I think like maybe 9-1 or 10-1 (not sure) if you do this you might want to do a basic home port and polish on them so they will flow better for the extra cubic inches compared to the 305

3. Alum. aftermarket intake. i have to say my personal favorite is the weind stealth intake and it doesn't have too bad of a price tag either.

4. invest in a good timing set like a true double roller chain.

I can't really think of anything else right of the tip of my head. I didn't get any sleep tonight so I am a little whacked out right now. I am sure somebody else will have some more ideas for you. just remember man I am not a mechanic so please don't take my word for gold on this i could be wrong on some things. like i said i don't do too much chevy although i am about to help a friend rebuild a 350 so i should get up to speed pretty quickly here soon.

pat

------------------

how was I to know that it would do that!..heh..cool...do it again!

[This message has been edited by v-8 Zfreak (edited April 14, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

New freeze plugs can be put in without it going to the machine shop if your don't plan on a rebuild, its not to difficult.

I've got a very stock 350 that is right in that horsepower range you are talking about, mines got a 6sp, but the 5sp will probably do and be much cheaper.

One things for certain, trust me, ain't no taurus gonna run it down (and unless the falcon and mustang are pretty hopped up, it'll give them all they can handle as well.). Have fun and welcome to Hybridz.

Regards,

Lone

------------------

http://datsun240v8z.virtualave.net/index.html

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited April 14, 2001).]

Welcome to the forum Nezzie76! Your HP goals are right in line with a mild rebuild. I guess the question you have to answer is how much money do you want to spend on the rebuild? You can buy cheap rebuild kits from PAW or Northern Auto Parts by mailorder. If you keep the pistons and rods, get a high performance cam with an advertised duration of about 270 degrees (or about 222 degrees or less at .050") Don't make the mistake of overcamming your car with a hotter cam unless you change heads, pistons, etc. You can build up a nice, relatively cheap motor with an easy 275-300 hp. Ditto on the Weiand Stealth intake--I own one too. Get a book on performance rebuilding and go to it!

Once you get the motor dialed in, you WILL trounce you friend. He will be ashamed, humiliated, and want to drive your car. I guarantee it.

David