HybridZ

L24 with 280zx E12-80 Distributor

jernut

Help me!

I have a '71 240z with a 280zx E12-80 Distributor. I am trying to set the timing and am not sure exactly what to set it to? I have used the search but am still confused.

I think that i should set it to 12 deg. BTDC. but im not sure if i need to disconect anything from the 280zx distributor. The car runs good I just want to make sure I am getting everything I can out of her before I move to a L28.

My mods are in my sig.

Is 12 deg. a safe place to be?

Do i need to disconect anything from the 280zx distributor?

How do I check the advance?

Thanks in sdvance for all your help.

With your setup you want about 35 degrees of total advance. If you still have the vacuum advance connected, plug it at the manifold, then with an adjustable timing light, measure the advance at ~3k rpm. IIRC, that should result in about 15-18 degrees at idle.

Actually, the timing is advanced as the engine rpm increases. But to answer your question, all of the advance should be in by 3k. If you see any further change at a higher rpm, then adjust it there. You want to set the maximum advance. There's nothing special about the 3k number.

The vacuum advance hose will come off the side of the distributor just below the plastic cap and should go to the intake manifold. You may find there is no hose and that the nipple has a plug over it. It's common for the diaphragm in the distributor's advance mechanism to begin to leak and so people sometimes just disconnect it.

The vacuum advance helps by giving you more advance at part throttle with high vacuum, such as when you're at freeway speeds. This helps provide a little better fuel economy.