HybridZ

My BBC Z

I started this project as something to do over the winter (2000). I stripped it down to the shell and it didn't leave the garage on its own wheel for two years. Rust repair and reinforcement, suspension rebilding. I had a tpi 350 ready to go in. My brother and I were leaning on the fenders talking and he looked at the 454 I had sitting in the garage and he said too bad that wouldn't fit in there.icon7.gif One day the 350 was back out of the car for more engine bay work and I got curious, it did fit and looked so great i never put the 350 back in.

I know it weighs more, I used aluminum where I could afford and the engine is placed back and low. The only thing past the rack is the water pump and harmonic balancer.

I used a couple of references when I started the car. An old Hot Rod engine swapping guide (sbc 240z) and how to hot rod a datsun. I like v8's where they weren't intended to be. Currently a sbc 4pd s10, previously a 79 280zx v8, a 69 MGB GT 283/5spd, 48 Ford truck v8 4spd.

I have been getting the motor ready to fire for the first time. Fuel leaks are fixed. The timing was 180 off. I heard it almost start!!!!! It would have but I stopped. Saturday morning I'll do it again. Courtesy to the neighbors is about to kill me. I am dying to hear this thing roar to life.

• 10 months later...