HybridZ

1983 280 ZX 2+2

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I would appreciate any information anyone has regarding the V8 conversion for an 83 280zx 2+2, the engine i will use is a 350 and a 350 tran. I have never done one and was wondering if the JTR manual would basically cover what i need to know for this year 280ZX?

Jag, the JTR manual only covers the 1st generation Z's. HOWEVER, the manual is very useful for understanding the V8 swap in general and is useful for other aspects such as cooling, fuel system, etc. It can only help you. Ross Corrigan, a friend from Canada, has done this swap--2+2 is different--and can answer some questions for you. He is in the middle of finals, I believe, but he posts relatively often. Hopefully he logs on during a beer break or something.

Guest Anonymous

Jag,

I am in the process of tearing my z apart again, and putting a t56 into mine. I don't have a 2+2 but I do have a zx. I have pics of all the mods I did to my car for the automatic, and the standard trannys. I"m going to put them up on my web page as soon as I get out of school. three more weeks, and it will be up. If you have anything, just let me know, I can try and help. Email me for best reply, I don't always get to get on line for this site.

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

"Don't hate the player, hate the game!"

http://www.hey.to/ellobo

Burp, you caught me mid beer/er/whiskey smile.gif up here;^)

JTR applies for most EXCEPT you have 3" less from xmember to firewall in a ZX compared to a Z and a ZX is rearsteer (rack behind xmemb) and Z's are frontsteer. So this prevents or makes it quite difficult to drop your engine level and pan fully down and behind your xmemb/steering rack/setup. Your motor mounts can be spaced same as JTR EXCEPT you don't need the offset plates/your mounts will line up dead even with your xmember and you'll be as rearward as you can be comfortably. Perhaps 1/2-3/4" could be gained if you altered your hood latch/I carved mine a bit to clear one plug wire on HEI and my car's weight is 50/50 so balance is fine (that 50/50 includes mid mount batt/alum. rad/heads/intake/water pump etc). So hood clearance is a tighter issue/I've yet to install xmember/frame spacers but will be doing so fairly shortly along with some other mods to my susp.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Jason

I have an 82 ZX and just did the first trial fit of my LT1 yesterday. It looks like I might need to make set back plates for the LT1 because there is at least 2" of room between the heads and firewall if I place the LT1 mounts over the crossmember. I hear the LT1 uses different mounts compared to older SBC's. The opti-spark distributor is also in front of the engine which gives additional clearance. Power steering lines will have to be re-routed, and it looks like there might be some clearance issues with the steering linkage as Ross pointed out.