HybridZ

What about the T-5?

Guest nezzie76

Guest nezzie76

Sorry about the incessant questions but I'm going to have to ask them if I want to joint the ranks. Maybe I'll be able to answer questions soon after I'm a veteran too. Anyways, The JTR manual doesn't say much about the T-5 trans. I'm wondering if you need special trans mounts and if you need to make tunnel modifications. I know about watching the clutch release fork though so it doesn't get smashed. It sounds like you just drill holes for the crossmember and then put the plates in and then just bolt it right on. It doesn't sound too bad....

Guest Frank280z

T5s fit nice. Unfortunately I'm still using a four speed muncie. But the t5s have great clutch fork clearance due to the 17 degree tilt/offset position. And the shifter should stick up in the stock location. You will still need to remove the brackets from the tunnel. Torque ratings. World Class t5-300ft.#s. Fortes makes a hopped up model. Actually the T56s are getting easier to find in the salvage yards...And they can handle loads of torque....But the cost is still up there.

Guest Fast Frog

On the 280Z(75-78), the T-5 fits into the tranny tunnel fairly easily. You need to completely remove the stock tranny mounting bracket including cutting(or torching) the side supports. Also, to get the slave cyl to fit and function you'll to hammer the front rounded bottom area, on the driver's side, leading into the tranny tunnel. Your JTR conversion kit has the new tranny bracket that bolts thru the floor of the car. The only other thing you'll need is the proper GM tranny mount that bolts to the bracket.

It's really a piece of cake to install! The only prob is the 15 deg slant of the shifter base to the driver's side. I shimmed the driver's side when attaching the shifter to the T-5. This brought the shifter handle to almost vertical and fit pretty decently thru the shift hole in the console.

BTW, if you use a 1994 or later Corvette bellhousing the trans will not be tilted over 15 degrees. Also, the slave cylinder for the Corvette is of a a higher quality but smaller overall than the Camaro type. It does not require any modifications to the tunnel and the speedo will still fit.

There are, however, two things you will have to do. First you have to remove and heat up the stick so you can take the 15 degree bend out of it or buy a new one that does not have the 15 degree angle in it. Second, you will have to build a wedge or modify the trans mount to accommodate the 15 degree angle.

Both will work but, in my opinion, the Corvette bellhousing makes for a more elegant solution.