HybridZ

240Z Frame Work Help.

I have a 240Z 1973 that is pretty much rust free that I would like to have the frame rails repaired/reinforced for a turbo motor swap.

I am located in Birmingham, AL

Does anyone know of anyone who can assist me in this?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
I have a 240Z 1973 that is pretty much rust free that I would like to have the frame rails repaired/reinforced for a turbo motor swap.

I am located in Birmingham, AL

Does anyone know of anyone who can assist me in this?

Thanks,

Kevin

I’m sure there has to be someone near by that could/would help repair your damaged frame rails.

How extensive is the damage and what kind of damage is it, i.e. rust, improper jacking, car bottomed out hard over curb, etc? Pics?

As for frame rail reinforcement, what kind of reinforcement are you thinking about, (just bolstering existing or designing a complete front strut to rear strut tube frame?). How are you planning to drive the car, (i.e. dedicated road course car, strip car, street car?), and just how crazy is your Turbo swap, i.e. stock or mild/moderate power increase over stock say around 300-400 HP, or stupid-crazy 700+ HP! (around here, we like stupid-crazy power)

• 4 months later...

This is where I am at now. Right Passenger side floorpan and framerail + under hood frame rail have been removed. I have test fitted the right side under hood frame rail but it seems like it pushes up to far into the firewall. I think the car might need to be pulled out about 1" on the passenger side but need someone that has done this to let me know what they think, If you are local and have done this before I would love for some advice on how to proceed from here, I want it to be done right the 1st time. :)

Thanks,

Kevin

IMAGE_400_thumb.jpg

IMAGE_272_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I had to replace the floorpan rails and the frame was not to bad so I reinforced it with a peice of angle iron and 18 gauge sheet metal. So I was in the same boat as you and could not afford someone else to do it so I borrowed a friends mig welder. If you could do that it WILL be cheaper but maybe not as pretty. Start on your floorpans first cause no one will see that and will get you the practice and technique down. Just an idea unless you would rather have someone else do it.