HybridZ

NZR: ITA Honda paint questions

280Z Turbo

My race team and I have decided to paint our '91 Honda CRX ITA car before next season. I don't personally own the car, but I do autocross it and work on it a lot.

First of all, what kind of paint is best for a racecar? I was thinking that single stage urethane paint would be best, but I've heard that BC/CC is easier to apply. We're looking for a durable finish that will be able to withstand duct taped on numbers. Also, the car may need to be repaired at some point seeing as how it runs with those a-hole Miata drivers in ITA. ;) The car will be painted gloss black, BTW.

Also, someone a long time ago decided it would be a good idea to put a big checkerboard stripe on the car in thick crappy paint. Also, some of the OEM paint is chipping off on the bumper cover. All of the paint stripper chemicals say that you can't apply them on plastic, but it would sure be a PITA to sand the bumper down to bare plastic.

Would stripper work okay on a plastic bumper cover? The plastic mirrors have that yellow paint on them too.

How should it be sanded? It looks like the doors have to be taken down to bare metal since they are covered in the crappy yellow paint which is peeling off.

I tried using 220 grit and an orbital sander on the sunroof panel. It works good, but I'm wondering if this is too harsh.:confused: Should I try 320 or 400?

221F.jpg