HybridZ

260 purchase

Hello all,

I may be looking at a 260 V8 project this weekend. What should I look for?

Specs are:new chevy crate moter and new 350 trans. HEI ignition, new Edelbrock carb and man. structuraly sound. Very good paint

Jags that run conversion. Never driven. Needs smog pump, new interior and tires.

Price is right.

Both car & I am in CA. What about Smog in CA?

Any things to look for or stay away from will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ananimator

Welcome Animator; come on it/take your shoes off-sit down & stay awhile.

My first question to the seller is why he never drove it(?); if you/he are in Ca It seems suspect to me/maybe it wont pass emiss tests. Also; is it an automatic or standard trans...does it have an overdrive? Does the A/C work? Any wires cut/hanging or dangling from underneath the dash?

Before you buy-decide if you want a looker; you know-a car you dont have to do anything to...one that's already been completed & all you have to do is put the key in & drive. Or, a Z you'll be tinkering w/from here to eternity as that is how many aftermarket mod's there are. Once you've been bit-there's no turning back.

If you havent seen the car yet-go look at it/take it for a ride. Check out all the mechanicals, paint/body (Check for rust), electrical & under hood-look for any signs of previous collision or improper mechanical repairs. Take notes.

Then pick the sellers mind for awhile; ask him what he's wanting for it. Then go home & think about it for a few days. Dont buy on the spot; go home & let it all sink in. If you like it/then go for a second test drive & check out the car once more-look for things you might have over looked before.

If you still like it/then make an offer. Good luck!

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

If you look in the recent posts in this forum, we just discussed this smog issue in depth--I seriously doubt many will want to delve into this deeply anytime soon. Please know that I'm not being standoffish, just realistic.

Smog law in CA: Engine must be same year as car or newer. All smog devices for the year of engine must be present and working. If your chassis came with a catalytic converter, you must have that too. 'Nuff said.

Guest Anonymous

That sounds like Steve's car. I had talked to him a couple of times about the car. The only issue for me was that he didn't have the copy of the title. The other thing was that the engine hadn't been run in a couple of years. He moved to Vegas and didn't have room for it. He left it in LA.

The engine is not a "Crate" motor, but instead a remanufactured motor. Not a big deal, but just so you know. Did you see it this weekend?

Ct..