HybridZ

Transmission Fitment On Z31

Zoso Z

Well, I'm doing a SBC swap on my 86 300ZX. I've found a very reliable source on motor mounts for my swap. Phase one completed. Phase two is the transmission. So I know my 350 will fit and I already know what trannys bolt up to it too. But I want to know from anyone who's done the swap on their Z31's what transmissions will fit in my Z31 transmission tunnel without modification or any butchering of the car? So far I've seen a Saginaw 3 speed in Alf's 84 Z and a T-5 5 speed BTW, my car comes stock with a T-5 but I'm switching to automatic(foot pain issues). I'm also gonna install an F1 paddle shifter system. I'm thinking of using either a TH350 or 700R4 but don't know if they will fit in my tunnel. If they don't then what modifications have to be done to make it fit and bolt in? Any firewall movement or bellhousing swaps? I'd love to know more. And yes I did search. I may be new here but I'm no stranger to forums. But, as always I thank you all for your help and support. And I'm gonna search some more in case i may have missed something.

I have a th350 in my Z31. You should have enough room in the tunnel for either the 350 or the 700. That's the good news. When I put mine in I had to mod the firewall just a little to clear bell housing on the automatic. It is easy enough to dop with a four pound sledge and a little attitude. :) Here are some pictures of the firewall where I "altered" it. Like I said, it doesn't take much and will hardly show. I hope this helps. Good luck

079_thumb.jpg

080_thumb.jpg

078_thumb.jpg

Tunnel_thumb.jpg

I have a th350 in my Z31. You should have enough room in the tunnel for either the 350 or the 700. That's the good news. When I put mine in I had to mod the firewall just a little to clear bell housing on the automatic. It is easy enough to dop with a four pound sledge and a little attitude. :) Here are some pictures of the firewall where I "altered" it. Like I said, it doesn't take much and will hardly show. I hope this helps. Good luck
Thanks Chaparral2f. I'm just about ready to get to work on my car now. For the short time I've been here and I've already gotten a lot of help here. It's great here, I can't wait to post up my build thread. Thank You All.