HybridZ

Help With Illustrating Magazine Article

Guest Ewen

Hi there,

I'm trying to find good photos of supercharger conversions to illustrate an article on supercharging in the UK's Practical Performance Car magazine.

What we need is good, large-size detail shots of completed installs, mounting / pulley bracketry, manifolds, intercooler solutions etc. Centrifugal, roots, twin-screw or

whatever - we need to represent the cross-section of what people are doing. Ideally, home-grown installs would be best, but again, we'd be happy to see kit-installs too.

It can be V8, V6, in-line or whatever as well. We also need permission to use anything, hence this post.

There's no money on offer for photos used alas, but there is the bragging right of having your work in one of the UK's most popular tuning magazines.

Out of interest, my own project (which will also help illustrate the article) is an S13 Nissan Sil80 with an M90 supercharged Lexus V8 (1UZ-FE) and Supra Turbo manual box. Long way to go yet, but it's getting there.

As always, there's quite a tight deadline - I could do with things by about 3rd / 4th Jan. Any input much appreciated. Hope you can help!

All the best,

Ewen

ewen@phcentral.co.uk

Ewen,

although I can't really help you out with the pictures, I hope you'll be able to make it in time. I'm a journalist too, and I know what it means to be in a rush when trying to complete the article... :) I hope you'll make it in time!

By the way, have you got any pics of your project? I love Hybrid S13s and S14s... :)

Good luck!

Tony

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year to everyone.

Thanks for the pic Larry and for your good luck wishes Tony - it's funny with magazines, isn't it? Deadlines are always ultra tight! Who do you write for?

Pics of my project? Here's a bunch below. It's really early stages still, but I'm hoping that it'll really come together in 2008. Most stuff is assembled now - I just need to get it all persuaded into the S13 shell.

Nissan-2.JPG

Nissan-6.JPG

V8-Arrives.JPG

Fighting-with-V8.jpg

context-1-darker-orig.jpg

:burnout:

Hello Ewen,

I write for Classicauto magazine - we've been in the market for a year now, but we gained a 10,000 monthly sales rate during the first 1/2 year that we were selling (and that's quite a success, considering the small but growing classic car market in Poland). We write about classics from all over the world, and usually I write about Japanese and American cars. It's my first true job, and even though I know I'm going to work for someone else in the future, I'm going to stay there and write articles just for fun. I love it! The website is http://www.classicauto.pl (sorry for the lack of English version, the editor says it's in the works). And yes, I know something about these deadlines - a few days ago I had to write a mid-sized article about Sydney Allard's cars (roughly two pages in MS Word with size 12 Times New Roman) in one evening. Funnily though, it was moved over to the next issue because of the lack of decent pictures... :D But we digress.

Here's the current "CA" issue:

http://www.classicauto.pl/numer.html

And here are the past issues (I wrote the cover article for the Chevy Camaro issue):

http://www.classicauto.pl/archiwalne.html

I really like your project! If you have any more pictures, please post them in the "Members Projects" section. I'd be happy to show them to my fellow Nissan gearheads in Poland... :)

Forgot to write that I had an idea - maybe you could use the pictures of factory mounted superchargers? Several Mercedes-Benz models had Eaton superchargers, and now Ford (Mustang Cobra & GT500) and Chevrolet (Corvette ZR1) have factory high-output superchargers too...

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Tony

Hi Tony,

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you. Just back from some days away.

That looks like a great mag you write for.

Photos of factory fitted superchargers would be great too. Ideally C class and SLK Mercedes, along with Jaguars. If you have any, I'd be grateful to get a copy of them.

Also, to repeat the request please:

If anyone could supply photos of their opwn supercharger conversion to help illustrate this article it'd be very much appreciated! Time is very much against me now, so please don't hold back if you can help!

Thanks again in advance,

Ewen

Ewen,

the mag I write for is great because in fact it's a group of gearheads who created something special and do the editing in their free time... Almost without profits. I'm only a little fish there, but most of the staff are truly passionate about what they're doing.

As far as the photos are concerned, I would advise you to write to the Mercedes, BMW (Mini Cooper S) and Jaguar press departments and find out what they can do for you. Maybe you could source the photos from there? I'd also send an email to Kenne Bell, Whipple, Stillen or other companies which make bolt-on supercharger kits.

I found this on the Web, but I don't think it's much of help...

t01_2.jpg

It sems like MB covers everything (supercharger included) with plastic, just like every other manufacturer.

I'll ask my friends if they could send me some supercharger conversion photos. I'll also search the biggest car tuning forum in Poland, and if I find anything, I'll try to ask the owners if I could send the photos to you. :) Such a shame that the forum just broke down... :( I'll do my best to help.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Tony